Update function in Linux Mint for updating to next version?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Update function in Linux Mint for updating to next version?

Postby miket on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 am

Hi !

I think you've got the process a little confused :)
What the command would do is create an archive, using the TAR archiving application, of the directory tree and then pass this onto the COMPRESS application
so that it creates a compressed archive file.
You don't have to compress it, however it would be faster to move a smaller file between devices, hence my suggestion.

It is an extremely reliable method for accomplishing what was requested.

As for the 7z format, I'm not familiar with this method as I would normally only use tools that are available on all UNIX platforms.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

N8Wolf wrote:Hi,
2) Why the need to Compress a backup and convert it to TAR (is it conversion that takes place?) Wouldn't it just work to just compress into i.e. 7z format?
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby teaumaz on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:43 am

Ok, so I reinstalled Mint last night, with separate /home partition, and got my virtualbox running Windows XP just the way I like it (with USB support etc.) However, if I were to install the new version of mint, those settings would be deleted, right? Or does Virtualbox keep its settings in a hidden folder under /home? Thanks for clarifying this!
teaumaz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby miket on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 am

Hi !

teaumaz wrote:Ok, so I reinstalled Mint last night, with separate /home partition, and got my virtualbox running Windows XP just the way I like it (with USB support etc.) However, if I were to install the new version of mint, those settings would be deleted, right? Or does Virtualbox keep its settings in a hidden folder under /home? Thanks for clarifying this!

If you used the default storage area within VirtualBox for the VirtualMachines then all your VirtualMachine configuration information and VirtualHardDisks
will be in a directory called ".VirtualBox" in your "HomeDirectory".

If you open a terminal and type ls -la in your home directory you will get a listing of all the files and folders in your homedirectory, one of which will be the VirtualBox folder.

If you were to install another version of mint all your information in your home directory should be preserved as it should not be overwritten by the installer,
however you will have to re-install VirtualBox as the binaries do not come as part of the Mint installation.

Once this is done you can then start the VirtualBox Graphical User Interface and re-use your existing VirtualMachines.

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:46 pm

Mike,

The only thing I would add to your advice is to be sure you install the same version of VirtualBox that you were using before you upgraded.

After you register you old virtual machine files with the appropriate version of VirtualBox you can then upgrade VirtualBox without problems.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions