Hard Drive Space required to Install Linux Mint 13 Mate ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
williamhf

Hard Drive Space required to Install Linux Mint 13 Mate ?

Post by williamhf »

How big a Hard drive is required to install Linux Mint 13 Mate on a computer?

I have a computer whose hard drive holds 60 GB.
I have a new DVD Instillation disc for Linux Mint 13 Mate bought from OSDisc.

Is the 60 GB hard drive large enough to hold the Installation of Linux Mint 13 Mate?

My problem:
I used the LM 13 Mate Installation DVD in the 60 GB machine.

On the Desktop screen appeared a button which reads "Install Linux Mint Mate"

I clicked on it.
Instillation appeared to procede as expected.

I used the "installed" LM Mate program for a couple hours.
When I turned the machine off, the OSDisc Installation disc came out of its drive.
I turned the machine off.

Next time I booterd it without the OS Disc in the DVD disc drive, the Machine booted
Linux Mint 9 which I had used for several years.

Thus, it appears that I was using the OSDisc LM 13 Mate as a LIVE DISC----which is to say,clicking on "Install Linux Mint Mate" did not
install the Op. System at all.

How do I force the Installation Disc to actually INSTALL Linux Mint 13 Mate on the hard drive?

Many thanks for advice

Holmes2818
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hard Drive Space required to Install Linux Mint 13 Mate

Post by kc1di »

The system requirements are listed as follows:

Code: Select all

System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port
Of course the above is the minimal recommended you'll want more than 5 GB on the disk.

Your problem I don't believe is disk space. but that for some reason Grub was not updated in the MBR.
when you install it tell it to replace mint 9 not install beside it.
Cheers and good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
HughT

Post by HughT »

hi Holmes2818, I think you'd know if you'd installed, it takes about half an hour or more, and you need to enter details of your language and keyboard preferences, user name etc. Try

sudo os-prober
to see if you've installed, if so

sudo update-grub
from Mint 9. regards
williamhf

Post by williamhf »

Thanks again kc1di
and
Thaks HughT

I am again grateful for the data re hojw much space is required to intall Linux Mint 13.

Holmes2818
HughT

Post by HughT »

Hi, 60GB is plenty to install Mint 13. The absolute minimum is 5GB, but this does not allow space to put any more programs nor any personal files. My Mint 11 which I've used for the past 18 months filled up 16.88 GB including extra programs and my files. But only you will know how much space you'll need for your own files. Trust this answers your question, if so don't forget to mark your first post as [SOLVED]. Regards
williamhf

Post by williamhf »

SOLVED How much space for Linux Mint 13 Mate is required?
Thanks, all

William

Return to “Beginner Questions”