mint menu problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

mint menu problem

Postby o-martin on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:49 pm

First of all, hello everybody. I have just installed Mint 2 hours ago so... ^^
I have a problem with the mint menu (Daryna): when y click the menu it opens and I can select anything I want, as usual, but when I finish (click the menu start button, for example), even when I click (right or left, does't matter) in the desktop wallpaper or open a window over it, the menu continues there. It does not close or dissapear, so I must have it opened until I reboot.
Any idea of the problem? How can I solve it?
o-martin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint menu problem

Postby ed@Mint on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:33 pm

I don't know if this will help but i suggest this :

first, do you have compiz enabled ? If you do, do you have the same problem when it is not ?

If compiz is not the problem:
- try to remove it from the panel and then add it again
- if it still doesn't work, try 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure mintmenu' in a terminal
- in the end, try 'sudo apt-get remove --purge mintmenu' and 'sudo apt-get install mintmenu'

anyone correct me if i'm going wrong :wink:
hope this helps
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby o-martin on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:48 pm

Compiz was the problem. I have disabled it, then I enable it once again and it worked properly.
Thank you very much.
Mmm, just another question: Can I modify the Mint Menu Panel? For example, change the space between panels ? Os simply its dimensions ?
Once again, thank you very munch.
o-martin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm not too sure about the customizing of Mint menu (I personally use the standard Gnome menu as I prefer it) but there is a new version of Mint menu in the Romeo repos, it may fix the issue with compiz. To get it, first you need to enable the Romo repos by opening a terminal and entering
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and uncomment (remove the # from in front of the lines, but only the ones that begin with "deb, and src-deb") under the Romeo ropos line, save the files and exit. Remove the Mintmenu from your panel. Then, again in the terminal do the
sudo apt-get remove --purge mintmenu
and then once again in the terminal, enter
sudo apt-get install mintmenu
That will get you the newest Mintmenu.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

: mint menu problem

Postby cmost on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Personally, I prefer the original USP (Ubuntu System Panel) menu, upon which Mintmenu is based; as it has more options and is more configurable. If you want to install it alongside MintMenu, it works fine (no conflicts.) Check out here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=156 for more information. :-)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ed@Mint on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:55 am

McLovin wrote:(remove the # from in front of the lines, but only the ones that begin with "deb, and src-deb")

He doesn't need to activate the source repository...
@o-martin : don't uncomment the line starting with deb-src. In addition, if you don't like to modify config files, you can do this graphically via Synaptic.

McLovin wrote: Then, again in the terminal do the
sudo apt-get remove --purge mintmenu
and then once again in the terminal, enter
sudo apt-get install mintmenu
That will get you the newest Mintmenu.

If he activates the romeo depots, the update will install by itself via mintupdate
@o-martin: this step should be useless. When i did activate romeo, mint made the update automatically

cmost wrote:I prefer the original USP (Ubuntu System Panel) menu, upon which Mintmenu is based

It is sad not to use mintmenu, there are many ways you can configure it.
@o-martin: if you want more information about how to configure mintmenu, you can check out the mint user guide here : http://linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide-4.1.pdf
Basically, right click on the menu icon and select 'preferences'. From there there's a lot of options you can configure.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions