Compiz

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Compiz

Postby k0rfain on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:46 pm

edit: sorry wrong thing

Code: Select all
Checking for Xgl: not present.
No whitelisted driver found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

inTel
k0rfain
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 am

I'm not an expert on Compiz (hate it, actually), but IIRC, Gutsy has some trouble with Intel chipsets and Compiz, specifically blacklisting. I just remember reading about people having trouble with needlessly blacklisted chipsets, such as the 915, when I submitted an initramfs bug (and fix, which has yet to actually be implemented - bug is still there...) on launchpad. A launchpad search would probably get you the info you need, if others don't have a solution for you ;-)

Sorry I'm not more helpful, I just don't know much about Compiz :(
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby k0rfain on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 am

Thanks for the reply, but i find it strange that I had compiz working on gutsy before.. but now it isnt working on mint?
k0rfain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:48 pm

That's interesting, but without more information, there's absolutely nothing anyone can do for you ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby k0rfain on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Well what more info do you need?
k0rfain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:39 pm

k0rfain wrote:Well what more info do you need?

*ANY* information, to start with ;) And after that, probably more, as we get into specifics. Merely saying "Intel" is about the same as looking for auto help online, and when asked what model you need help with, replying "car". It doesn't narrow things down much, mate ;) We'll need to get to specific part numbers, if at all possible, to help narrow things down. Most Intel chipsets are "automagically" found, so this gives me some ideas, but at least *some* info from your side will save everyone *alot* of time, including yourself ;)

Can you start by providing the GPU model, chipset, CPU make, driver type, and whatever else you can think of about your computer? Have you run the updater yet? Any error messages in the boot process *before* you get into GNOME?
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cmost on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:27 am

Different versions of the Compiz GIT tree yield different results as far as chipset blacklisting is concerned. For example, many people assume the Intel x3100 won't work with Compiz when it works superbly with the latest Compiz 0.7.3x release. This inconsistency is almost irritating! Therfore, may I recommend that you try a more recent version of Compiz-Fusion than used in stock Mint 4.0. I've upgraded several fresh Mint installs using this technique and haven't had any problems. To do upgrade Compiz-Fusion, do the following:

1. Open a terminal and type
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Copy the following four (4) lines and paste them into your sources.list file:
## Compiz-Fusion
# Quattro's Ubuntu Gutsy EyeCandy Repository (GPG key: 641AC84F)
deb http://kwatrow.nl/repo Gutsy compiz-fusion-git
deb-src http://kwatrow.nl/repo Gutsy compiz-fusion-git

3. Save the sources.list file and close gedit

4. Back at the terminal issue the following command in order:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade (or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade if you don't mind installing extra packages that might be needed.)

Some Notes: You might want to remove all Compiz related files before adding the new repository and completing the above procedure. Alternately, you may want to use Synaptic, after adding the repository and performing an apt-get update to choose the specific elements of Compiz-Fusion you want. I highly recommend you use the Fusion-icon to control Compiz, instead of Gnome's 'Visual Effects' applet.

Good luck!

Good luck!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions