Why are wireless problems so common?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Why are wireless problems so common?

Post by Fred »

bfskinnerpunk.

In its' simplest form, the answer is, proprietary drivers and hardware specs. This means that it is a hit and miss operation for open source developers to try to support these hardware devices.

There are two major reasons for this situation. The wireless and graphics card markets are both very similar is this respect. Both markets are very competitive and manufactures are afraid that exposing their drivers and hardware specs will give their competitors an advantage.

Of at least equal importance is Microsoft. They have a tremendous amount of market clout. They have in the past and continue to put a lot of pressure on hardware manufactures not to support or aid Linux. Remember, not only are they a convicted monopolist with a long history of less than ethical business practices, but a simple addition on the Windows up-date site could put any given hardware manufacture out of business over night.

Now do you get it? :-)

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Why are wireless problems so common?

Post by Fred »

bfskinnerpunk,

The best I can do to help you with wireless is to refer you to the wiki. I know so little about wireless problems that I would only confuse both of us more. Sorry

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”