Screen Rsolution

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Screen Rsolution

Postby SlowMotion3EB on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:19 pm

I rebooted my computer and when I got back into Mint my resolution had changed from 1280x1024 to 1920x1440.
I went to the screen resolution tool to change it back but no matter what I do nothing changes.
Anybody know a solution?
SlowMotion3EB
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screen Rsolution

Postby Fred on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:52 pm

SlowMotion3EB,

Open a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf for editing.

In that file you will see a list of resolutions that are availiable to you. Move all the resolutions you don't want into a commented line like this:

# 1024x768 640x480 1920x1440 .... etc.

This should leave only the resolution you want in the original line. Save and exit.

Restart x or reboot if that is easier for you. Your desired resolution should now be there.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Screen Rsolution

Postby SlowMotion3EB on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Thank you kind sir.
That worked perfectly
SlowMotion3EB
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions