yahoo chat

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

yahoo chat

Postby Mark mc on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi
new question, is there an easiliy configurable app for voice chat in yahoo?
i like to voice chat with my brother on a friday after work,
i,m able to use pidgin to chat in text
and i really want to leave windows behind does any one use anything else bearing in mind that i'm trying to chat (voice ) from linux to windows XP any suggestions ?
What do you use to voice chat with windows users?
Mark mc
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:21 pm
Location: Belfast Northern Ireland

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: yahoo chat

Postby cmost on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:48 pm

I would recommend you check out 'Gyach Enhanced'. According to its web site: Gyach is "a full-featured Yahoo client for LINUX with voice chat and webcam support. Mission: To focus on thorough Y! support on Linux only. Philosophy: Trying to do multi-protocol / cross-platform clients slows progress and results in half-baked support - One protocol, one OS...done well."

If there's a DEB (or repository) for Ubuntu Gutsy (or other recent Ubuntu version or Debian version) you should be able to get it to work well on Linux Mint. You can find more information here:

http://www.phrozensmoke.com/projects/py ... gyache.php

Good luck! :-)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 am
Location: Newport, Kentucky

Re: yahoo chat

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:29 pm

And my eternal advice to newcomers to Linux:

*NEVER* try to install the "official" Yahoo! Messenger client from Yahoo proper. If you look at the distro numbers it's designed for, it's *very* outdated. The libraries required to install it aren't even available in most distros anymore, meaning you'll have to hand-compile them into your system. The odds of being successful and everything being ok at this point = 1%. The odds of something going wrong and completely borking your system into utter unusefulness = 99% ;)

Not saying you would do this, mate, but I've seen it tried, and just try to warn others before the might consider it. Looks like you're already using a great client, and cmost has proposed a most-worthy alternative ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:37 am

Re: yahoo chat

Postby Mark mc on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Ok thanks for the info.
Mark mc
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:21 pm
Location: Belfast Northern Ireland


Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jimallyn, ohiodiemaker, space_jeff and 33 guests