RabbitVcs not working in Cinnamon 1.6.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dinz

RabbitVcs not working in Cinnamon 1.6.1

Post by Dinz »

Hello,

When i used Cinnamon 1.4 ( since it was using Nautilius ), RabbitVCS seem to work perfectly. After upgrading to Cinnamon 1.6.1 ( Nemo File Manager), RabbitVCS doesn't work in Cinnamon 1.6.1

Do you guys have any solution or workaround for this? It's highly critical for my work :(

Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: RabbitVcs not working in Cinnamon 1.6.1

Post by jungle_boy »

Clem said:

"These technologies (cinnamon 1.6 and other) are brand new and we do not recommend you upgrade to them."

Back to cinnamon 1.4.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Dinz

Post by Dinz »

In that case, is it possible to remove Nemo File manager alone ? If so, what would be the set of commands? I would like to use Cinnamon 1.6.1 and remove Nemo File Manager. Will that be a recommended setup?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Dinz,
try the following (note the -s flag > it will only simulate the removal, if everything looks ok meaning no other pkgs or lib being removed run agin the command without it, logout and login)
if you need additional info, please ask :)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -s remove nemo nemo-data
Dinz

Post by Dinz »

zerozero wrote:Dinz,
try the following (note the -s flag > it will only simulate the removal, if everything looks ok meaning no other pkgs or lib being removed run agin the command without it, logout and login)
if you need additional info, please ask :)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -s remove nemo nemo-data

ZeroZero,

Awesome it works! I have few questions on this. I'm yet to check if the removal of nemo has any effect on other packages or UI issues,since i'm still using Cinnamon 1.6. Will there be a future enhancement to support RabbitVCS on Nemo File manger, if so, it would be great. Since, i'm checking in and checkout the code using RabbitVCS, it's little critical for me:(
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Dinz wrote:I'm yet to check if the removal of nemo has any effect on other packages or UI issues,since i'm still using Cinnamon 1.6.
can't tell you for sure but cinnamon from now on will rely on nemo and not nautilus, see this
Will you still be able to use Nautilus with Cinnamon or will you need Nemo?

Yes. You can run any file manager with Cinnamon and if you don’t run Nemo we strongly suggest you take a look at Marlin and Caja.

Beware that Cinnamon and Nemo are meant to work together though. Right now there are components of Cinnamon which are tightly linked to Nautilus. These will be replaced by optional components which will tightly link to Nemo. So going forward, Cinnamon should work with any file browser, but it will have more features if you use Nemo.

To give you an example, you can currently define what desktop icons are visible in Cinnamon. Behind the curtain, that’s Cinnamon Settings exposing some Nautilus configuration. That is being removed (these options are gone in Nautilus 3.6 anyway, so there’s no real loss here for Nautilus users) and replaced with Cinnamon exposing some Nemo configuration, if and only if Nemo is installed. So if you’re using Caja you can set this in mintDesktop, if you’re using Marlin there’s probably options for it in Marlin, if you’re using Nemo it will be there in Cinnamon.

When it comes to packaging we’re aware that Cinnamon is used by many people and distributed by many distributions. Nemo won’t be a hard requirement, so it will be at the discretion of each distribution or user to decide whether or not they want/need Nemo and that shouldn’t impact on them using/distributing Cinnamon.
<< http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198
Dinz wrote:Will there be a future enhancement to support RabbitVCS on Nemo File manger
nemo is very young, the additional extensions have 2 days << this is just to say that you seeing the birth of a project :wink:
i believe that those features will be added in the future, but you can request them here >> https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions/issues
Dinz

Post by Dinz »

Excellent, Thanks for your answers bud!
markino75

Post by markino75 »

For anyone interestend,
it seems that somone created a RabbitVCS patch for making RabbitVcs work with Nemo

http://code.google.com/p/rabbitvcs/issues/detail?id=728

I worked form me today on Mint Maya 13, Cinnamon 1.6.7, Nemo 1.1.2

Return to “Beginner Questions”