I've upgraded to Daryna--and have some slight issues.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I've upgraded to Daryna--and have some slight issues.

Postby LOVEANDA45 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:37 pm

from Cassandra and I was initally very happy, even though shortly after installing my computer rebooted itself for no apparently reason. That was alarming but it didn't happened again.
I have noticed however in just the time Ive had it the system seems laggy and bogged down. The system monitor shows my memory usage at 48%-51%, which seems excessive considering I am only looking at websites with pidgin open.
I was trying to type a note to someone on Facebook on my keyboard was lagging (ie, type, nothing happens, then the letters show up) This has never happened before installing Daryna, but it has happened a few times since upgrading. Its very irritating.
Is this a memory issue? After the lagging keyboard I tried to determine what was causing the drag. I discovered the mint update icon in the system tray and shut that down (which caused the memory usage to drop from 78% or so to the current 51%)

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Things operated seemlessly on Cassandra, and Im beginning to regret the upgrade I have 512 MB of ram. I have to admit I didn't check sys. requirements before upgrading, but if this pc could run XP without issues, I honestly didn't Daryna would be a problem.

I noticed a light version of Daryna-would installing this make a noticable difference in performance? I don't think I can stand my computer glitchy and lagging like this. I have enough of that with my Win2000 machine at work.

any feedback appreciated, as always.
LOVEANDA45
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I've upgraded to Daryna--and have some slight issues.

Postby LOVEANDA45 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 pm

I just restarted my computer,and now with only 1 firefox window open it says:

memory- 51% in use by programs
48% in use as cache

and its still lagging like crazy:(
LOVEANDA45
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ferdil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 am

Have you upgraded with a fresh install or changing the repositoiries. If the second, try to format and reinstall, something might have gone wrong.
Always remember that this is ubuntu's fault, that is the core of Mint. Some people in Ubuntu Forums say that the upgrade to Gutsy (on wich is based Daryna) slowed down their computers.
Don't blame me for my bad english. This is not my native language.

Are the decisions that you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Ferdil
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LOVEANDA45 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:55 pm

thanks for the response. i did a fresh install. I wouldn't know how to go about changing repositories.

do you know if there is any huge difference between Cassandra and Celena?
Im wondering if I should go back to Cassandra, or try Celena instead (or what about the light version of daryna?)

Im willing to try anything to improve performance again. suggestions//advice appreciated! i mostly upgrade b/c I wanted gimp 2.4 but if i can't stand to use my computer, i dont think its worth the trade off.
LOVEANDA45
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LOVEANDA45 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:02 am

I should do homework before asking questions. I can see Celena is based on Fiesty. I believe I will try that next. Either that or throw my computer out the window.

I'll be sad to lose Gimp 2.4 though. is that going to work on Celena (Im assuming not, please please correct me if I am wrong)
LOVEANDA45
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LOVEANDA45 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:27 am

Ok, just finished installing Celena..so far so good.

Everything is right in the world again:)
LOVEANDA45
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions