Installing programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installing programs

Postby ziemowitt on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi, Im totally new user of Mint Distribution and feel rookie and yardbird.

In Windows we use to click in an installing icon and all process is being started. But it doesnt work in Linux :):):)

Please, I would like some "good soul" to give me itinerary how to install programs. My problem is that I dont know what is relevant to Add/Remove programs or control panel in Windows.

Kindly regards

Ziemowit
ziemowitt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing programs

Postby ed@Mint on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:40 pm

You have to use the Synaptics package manager or the software portal.
For more information, i suggest you carefully read the Linux Mint user guide : http://linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide-4.1.pdf
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ziemowitt on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:49 am

when i click the link above the page
"The requested URL /pub/Daryna_User_Guide-4.1.pdf was not found on this server." is being shown
ziemowitt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Well the link is indeed dead.
I think it is due to heavy maintenance and changes on the mint servers these days...

However, here is a temporary link for you : http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,20080416171408,LinuxMint-4.0-User-Guide_v1.pdf.html
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions