How do I uninstall/remove linux Mint 13

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I uninstall/remove linux Mint 13

Postby excollier on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 am

I want to uninstall/remove linux Mint 13 from my dual boot computer. Has anyone any tips on how to do this please? I did search but nothing matches my question.
Thanks
Registered Linux user #557695
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
KWheezy, SolydK BE, Raspberry Pi
Windows 7 & 8 in VMWare Prison.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I uninstall/remove linux Mint 13

Postby odo5435 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

I did a search on "how to uninstal linux mint" and got this, along with a couple of hundred other good how-to's. Seems pretty simple to me.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7 :::<<>>::: Linux Registered User No. 545697
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon
odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Postby linuxsudoer on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am

Get a live CD made (or usb) boot from it. Fire up gparted, select the partition with Linux on it. Delete and reformat as you see fit.

"In a world without walls, who needs Windows?"
"In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"
linuxsudoer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby excollier on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 am

odo5435 wrote:I did a search on "how to uninstal linux mint" and got this, along with a couple of hundred other good how-to's. Seems pretty simple to me.

Thank you, I searched this forum, not web wide.
What is simple to you, may not be immediately apparent to others, but thanks for your friendly feedback.
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Postby BBistheKing on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm

I notice you were having trouble with Cinnamon a little while ago. You should try the XFCE version. Solid and easy to use and configure. It's worth a try. Cinnamon is relatively young in terms of development but XFCE has been around a while so is quite stable. I have never had an issue with it. I have successfully left Windows behind with XFCE.
Linux user since 2011
XFCE user
BBistheKing
Level 2
Level 2

Postby excollier on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm

How do I install XFCE? Download a live image, copy to a dvd then install it over Mint13? What I mean is, will it replace Mint 13 automatically? I am a complete newbie, so please, have patience.
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Postby naike on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:54 pm

You can just install xfce with synaptic packet manager or apt-get in terminal.
In linux you can choose between many desktop environments and window managers, not like MS windows where you have one.
Linux is not bound to a DE or window manager like windows for example. Think of it this way: you could run Windows with OSx (mac) GUI, but it still being Windows.

Read the first few bits of text here to understand it better: (I'm bad at explaining)
http://lifehacker.com/5762081/wtf-deskt ... -explained

You can install all of them if you want, then you can simply log in (go to the log in screen, you may need to log out) and change what DE you want to log into.
I for example have cinnamon and xfce installed on my machine and I can switch between them by logging out.
Being a beginner linux user myself, I know it's a little hard to grasp all the different things in linux, but once you start to get the hang of it, it's fun to play around and once you get used to the slightly different software experience on linux, you'll like it as much or more as windows.
naike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BBistheKing on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 pm

good advice naike but may be a bit much for a newbie, maybe. I remember being a newbie (not that long ago actually). Another option is you could download the iso and just go through the install and it should detect the previous Mint install and just choose to replace it. It will automatically replace it and do all the necessary partitioning and formatting. This way you can start anew.

I have come to love linux and it has brought 2 old (one of them ancient) computers to life. I was about to recycle the ancient one, and now I'll donate it to the Salvos. And I have set up the other with XFCE for the kids, installed cairo-doc and now it looks like a Mac desktop - more kiddie friendly. :lol:

But it is a case of baby steps for non-techies. Good luck.
Linux user since 2011
XFCE user
BBistheKing
Level 2
Level 2

Postby wayne128 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 pm

I want to uninstall/remove linux Mint 13 from my dual boot computer. Has anyone any tips on how to do this please? I did search but nothing matches my question.
Thanks

Same topic ..viewtopic.php?f=46&t=115028
may be you like to read the above link on how to remove Linux from dual boot with win7
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby BBistheKing on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh and by the way, XFCE may look a little plain, but this is what I did with some user desktops. IT depends on your hardware specs whether you could do this. How much RAM do you have? This is on a C2D with 2GB RAM so I have plenty of room to play.

XFCE with Docky.jpg
XFCE with Docky.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 16222 times

XFCE with Cairo-dock.jpg
XFCE with Cairo-dock.jpg (18.13 KiB) Viewed 16222 times

In this image that's the XFCE panel on the left set to autohide. Both have compositing activated but Docky or Cairo requires a bit more RAM.

And this is my MDM (login) theme that I did my self. :)
http://linuxmint-art.org/content/show.php/Mint+Purple+MDM+with+user+list?content=154781&PHPSESSID=7a43f080434bfad18f10eb08ad379db9
thumb.png
thumb.png (56.27 KiB) Viewed 16214 times
Linux user since 2011
XFCE user
BBistheKing
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions