Issues Using a Network Printer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Issues Using a Network Printer

Postby Cambo105 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 pm

I posted this in the printing forum a few days ago, but that doesn't seem to get much traffic... So here goes.

Here's my situation, in my house we have a small wireless network that consists of a router, a windows computer connected via cat5 cable to this router, a windows desktop connected wirelessly, and my Linux laptop also connect wirelessly. We have an HP 1310 printer connected to the windows computer that is wired to the router, and this printer is shared with the computers on the network. The wirelessly connected XP machine can print documents with out a problem, however my Linux machine is having some issues. When I open the "printing" GUI it will detect both the host computer and the printer type. I enter my password twice (which I assume is my username password, if its not what would it be?) and install the correct driver. After all this, in the "printing" window it says the the printer is ready. However if I send a document to be printed, the icon appears in the system tray and at first everything seems to be going fine. But nothing ever prints, the light on the printer just flashes like the job has been paused. The windows printer monitoring program (I forget its name) recognizes there is job but doesn't know what to do with it. Does any one have an idea of what could be the problem here? I am very new to linux so it could be any number of things, but any help is greatly appreciated.
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Issues Using a Network Printer

Postby edav on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi,
Cambo105 wrote:[...]
I enter my password twice (which I assume is my username password, if its not what would it be?) and install the correct driver.

Hmm... i'm afraid not.

If your Windows printer control panel shows jobs, you don't have any security issue and the password you type is accepted. If jobs don't achieve to print anything, then your printer is not able to understand what is send to it: driver issue IMHO... Check the Linux driver is the right one or try another.

À+,
edav.
edav
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Issues Using a Network Printer

Postby rec9140 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Either try the HPLIP program or try the Generic HP PCL 4 drivers
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions