why am i starting with over 400mb of ram being used?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iamclueless

why am i starting with over 400mb of ram being used?

Post by iamclueless »

ok currently running Cassandra XFCE
after booting, going to the terminal and using top reveals that im using over 400mb

right now top is saying 468... all ive done so far would be run a terminal, connect to the internet and open Firefox
maybe someone can give me a clue
services running - ive never added anything, ive actually turned off a number of them

5 user accounts have been created (not sure if that should be a factor)
all defaulted autostarting applications have been turned off (ie. update notification)
hardware specs (P3 667mhz, 768 of RAM). Using a dual boot (XP and Mint) from two separate HDs.

i cant think of where at least 200mb of ram is going.

any help? thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: why am i starting with over 400mb of ram being used?

Post by Zwopper »

Used to windows, are you? :wink:
An old Unix saying is "Unused memory is wasted memory!"
...so upon boot your operating system will try to fill up every bit of ram there is to make the system as quick as possible, by trying to limit disk access to write operations as much as possible.

Hope that answer wasn't to fuzzy... :?
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
iamclueless

Re: why am i starting with over 400mb of ram being used?

Post by iamclueless »

ahh thanks that clarifies it. the RAM isnt holding the old desktop at all, its really the CPU thats too slow.
so actually i could probably enable some more of the services.

also running Puppy on the desktop occassionaly, and thats just impossible to use that much RAM whatever i do.

Return to “Beginner Questions”