how to manually run

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

how to manually run

Postby bruiserdor on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi guys first try. When i go to synaptic packet manager i get a popup saying 'manually run "dpkg --configue -a" how do i do this ? thanks in advance Bruce!http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=90#
bruiserdor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to manually run

Postby cmost on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi! Can you please elaborate on your problem? What is it you were trying to do? What is the exact wording of the error. What version of Linux Mint are you using (i.e., Gnome, KDE, other and version 3.1, 4.0, etc.) Thanks!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby newW2 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:38 pm

The package management system - synaptic has two components: dpkg and APT. Synaptic knows there is a problem, so it is asking you to fix it by running "dpkg --configue -a" in a terminal window. That command needs to be run as root. So in a terminal enter:
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --configue -a
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bruiserdor on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi guys thanks for the info , Im running mint 4 in gnome. I tried to run the fix you gave me but i dont think i ran it as a root. how do you run a terminal as "root" ? Bruce.
bruiserdor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Simply open gnome-terminal and preface any commands you want to run as root with "sudo" (without the quotes). I hope this helps!

Example 1:
sudo dpkg --configue -a

The above referenced command will be run with root privileges since it is prefaced by the "sudo" command. You will need to enter your password to proceed.

Example 2:
sudo nautilus

The above referenced command will open a nautilus browser window as root. As before, you will be prompted for your password in order to proceed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bruiserdor on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Well thank you very much success i tried exactly the same fix yesterday no go this morning it worked !!! still have no idea what i did differently but it worked. once again thanks. Bruce
bruiserdor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:24 pm

If you cant remember a command that you have used before just type in a terminal:
$ history
History will list all your previous commands
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions