Cant get online...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Cant get online...

Postby jam1e on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 am

Hey guys,

I'm a new user who just installed 4.0 from a linux mag coverdisc on my older laptop after much messing around with kubuntu. It all seems to be working ok (but some more memory is on the way - 256k aint what it used to be!) but i cant connect to the net. I'm using a netgear wireless router (but using a lead) which works ok with both my mac and my windows machine - are there any problems with netgear that I need patches or updates for etc?

Thanks a lot,
jam1e
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cant get online...

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:36 am

I'm using a netgear wireless router (but using a lead)

Please explain
For wifi take a look at the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jam1e on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 am

What i meant to say is - I'm not overly bothered about connecting wirelessly (it'd be a bonus though) so just wondering what i need to do to connect via my existing set up.

At the minute when i try to connect, the browser just states that the computer is not connected.

cheers
jam1e
Level 1
Level 1

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:44 am

First you need to make sure that you have wireless enabled. So right click on the icon for Network manager which is the icon which looks like 2 computers next to the clock. Make sure that both networking and wireless have a check mark or (x) next to them. Then left click on the Network Manager icon and see if any wireless networks appear. If not go down to options and make sure wireless is enabled there too. If so wait a couple of minutes and check to see if any are listed. If still no networks are listed restart your computer and check again. If your network appears in the list click on it put in your password if necessary and wait for it to connect. If you need any more help please follow the directions on the link in the previous post. If that does not solve your problem please let us know and we will help you.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:39 pm

I think curtiswtaylorjr misread you.
I have only seen someone not connecting with wire once with Mint I think (with other distros it's a different story I fail miserably to connect with wire in one)
First we have to establish if you can connect to your router
Do you know it's IP - you have to use it to set it up - probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
(On a sidenote - all you out there if you have not changed the default password of your broadband router do so immediately!)
If you can ping the router and/or reach it's set up page the it's probably a problem described and solved here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Husse wrote:First we have to establish if you can connect to your router
Do you know it's IP - you have to use it to set it up - probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
(On a sidenote - all you out there if you have not changed the default password of your broadband router do so immediately!)

I do highspeed internet support for a large cable company. So I thought I would chirp in and give all the major router manufacturer default gateway IP's for anyone interested.
The gateway IP's are Linksys- 192.168.1.1, Belkin- 192.168.2.1, Netgear- 192.168.0.1, D-Link- 192.168.0.1 (DSL-192.168.1.1).

Husse on the password change issue do you mean the internal admin password or the WPA/WEP key.
curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 pm

I mean the internal admin password - however if there is such an abomination as a default password for the WPA/WEP key change it asap - but if you have not changed the internal admin password anyone can change anything in the router including WPA key
In both cases to avoid that some nasty person hijacks you connection and causes trouble
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions