Nvidia driver problem?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Nvidia driver problem?

Postby Quality.mE on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

ok. ill do it as simple as possible.

Daryna Main Edition
new install all ok...
i do all "build-essential,updates,upgrades" and if i press the mint menu quit button it works...
then comes the problem;
- i install the Nvidia 8800 GT driver, it installs the graphics are ok, screen resolution fits and everything seems fine.
but now if i click the mint menu quit button nothing happens (even if i click 100 time) and i already tried the plugins reload option or remove and read the menu, so i get on ctrl alt f! and shut it down manually. When i restart the computer i get bumped in the low mode graphic window as if my video card is not recognized and my keyboard configuration gets to the american one...

if i remove the Nvidia driver the quit button works lol.
have some ideas of what is happening?
Quality.mE
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nvidia driver problem?

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:50 pm

If the quit button - or the menu - does not appear use Alt+F1 and you should get some "emergency menu" at least in gnome
I have a feeling your xorg.conf got screwed up - please post it (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)
Did you use Envy or the restricted manager?
I always recommend installing the latest Envy
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
It's the legacy version you use for Daryna and earlier
Then install and do configure when Envy asks you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Quality.mE on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:14 pm

ok i got it fix.
the mint default version of envy (that i thought it was the last cuz i did the upgrades) didnt find my geforce as pluged-in (thats why i installed the driver manualy).
so i got the lastest envy version from the link you posted me, i uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it with envy and it works now and the keyboard swiched by it self to the italian version without me changing it.

thx for the solution... its my fault i didnt checked the envy version
sry for the useless post XD
Quality.mE
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 am

thx for the solution... its my fault i didnt checked the envy version
sry for the useless post XD

Not at all useless :)
Unfortunately the Envy in the repositories is not the newest and there has been a large development of both Envy and drivers lately
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions