Run windows on Linux Mint (virtual)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Run windows on Linux Mint (virtual)

Postby endacoz on Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:48 am

I have some unique software that only runs on Windows that I must use. I would like to go all LInux, so if I can install a virtual Windows XP that would be great. I am beginer / intermediate linux user. Can someone point me in the right direction on to where I can get step by step directions on how to set up a free virtual XP (I have legal install and code for xp pro).

Thank you.!

Can't wait till I can get windows on one side of the cube!
endacoz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Run windows on Linux Mint (virtual)

Postby Shadow_Ice on Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:55 am

Well now i know i aint the only one that has a few programs that will only run on windows. VZAccessManager only runs on windows and its my internet connectiong for my phone and i have no way to use it on Linux.
Shadow_Ice
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sundayrefugee on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:12 am

Open Synaptic Package Manager, search for "VirtualBox", and click on the checkbox to the left to install it ;) It's the Virtual Machine I recommend for a variety of reasons.

Once installed, go through the settings *first*, and enable things like CD/DVD access, network access, usb access, etc... that you'll want your Virtual Windows to have. Then, make sure that your Windows cd is in your *1st* CD/DVD drive, and make a new Machine. Call it what you'd like - "Windows", etc... but something to distinguish it. It'll ask you what environment you'll be running - scroll down to Windows (XP? I can't remember if that's an option - if it is, choose it :P ). Then, you'll set up your virtual hard drive - set it to dynamic, which it is by default, so it can "grow" if it needs to, then it'll as for memory (512 Megabytes if great if you can spare it), etc... just check the best options.

Then, you'll boot into the virtual machine you just made. BE QUICK HERE! After the "Innotek...." screen, you'll get a *very* brief opportunity to press F12, and point your Virtual Machine to boot from the CD drive, so make sure you already have a finger on F12 and hit it when it pops up ;) And that's it. It installs in it's own, protected-from-Linux, seperate virtual machine, which you can boot into anytime to run your windows apps ;) You can also install all of the Microsoft updates, an antivirus (I recommend the free Avira Antivir), etc... and you're good to go.

Oh, and the full-screen it on a desktop, and spin your cube around and watch XP go by... :lol:
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Shadow_Ice on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:09 am

Cant download 1 of the files for Virtual Box

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... 6_i386.deb

Ive tried it twice now and its saying file not found, but all the others worked just fine.

(edit) I was typing it wrong so nevermind.

(edit) i did all that got everything installed and i get this.

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
Shadow_Ice
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sundayrefugee on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:25 pm

You just need to add yourself to the vbox usergroup ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Shadow_Ice on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:16 pm

and how do i do that? cuz atm i have to switch back and forth between Mint and Windows so i can get online.
Shadow_Ice
Level 1
Level 1

Postby atlef on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 am

Open the menu - Admin - users and groups - manage groups - find vboxusers and add yourself to that group.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby endacoz on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:09 am

I was suprised at how easy that was! I got windows XP up and running! I can now run my ministry support software so I am pumped. I do have another question on this issue.

Under my devise Manager there are 2 items that it have yello ! issues / no driver errors.

+ other devices
-- Base System Device
-- Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I am unsure of how to update these through the Virtual box. I am unable to have a complete full screen :(
endacoz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:04 am

Once you have started your virtual machine, under the second menu select "Install guest additions" or something similar and all should be dandy, OR install drivers like you normally would in windows but check "search windows update" and they should find it, both ways have worked for me.
Sorry for my lousy English. :oops:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kwisher on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:17 am

What if you already have XP installed as a dual boot setup? The reason I ask is, I'm currently playing around with a test configuration for a Samba Primary Domain Controller using the server edition of Ubuntu. My main system is currently dual booting Mint & XP. I would like to have XP in a virtual machine on my MINT so that I can test network configurations instead of rebooting into XP or going to another XP client on my network.

Thanks for any advise.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kayakaholic on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 am

I tried virtual box but the windows cd wouldnt work cos its a hp oem disk and although it was in the pc it came with it doesnt appear so the cd wont let you use it.

Has anyone heard of any ways of getting past this?
kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions