Black screen, vegetative state after 'suspend' (Asus)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Black screen, vegetative state after 'suspend' (Asus)

Postby Jetro on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 am

Hello, I have found loads of similar topics, even one that apparently referenced to the problem I'm having, but I couldn't find it.
I see there are loads of fixes out there for topics regarding a black screen after putting the computer in suspend, but this is not quite like that.

Linux Mint 13 Mate / Asus G74SX / Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M (proprietary drivers enabled)

The screen goes black after putting the computer in suspend mode. The same happens whether I choose to do it manually, or closing the lid (when action is set to suspend).

It also doesn't as much go into suspend mode as it gets stuck in a vegetative state. The screen goes black, it sounds like one of the fans shut down, but the computer is obviously still going. The power button is still lit up.

Nothing but holding in the power button for several seconds helps from the moment it is put in 'suspend' mode. It makes no difference if I wait, close and open the lid or whatever.

I don't know what to do here, I'd really like to continue using Linux Mint, and I'd want to be able to suspend the computer. Thanks.
Jetro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Black screen, vegetative state after 'suspend' (Asus)

Postby bigj231 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:22 am

Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jetro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Is Ubuntu the same as Linux Mint? Can you do the exact same solutions?

Also, that seems to be some months old, so maybe there's a new version out it needs to replace or something. I don't know if the version numbers are right, or what I'm doing when I'm following the solution. However, I will try, thanks for your reply :)
Jetro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bigj231 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Probably about 95% of the fixes for Ubuntu work for Linux Mint. Mint is based on Ubuntu. The fixes for Unity will not work on Mint though (unless you are using Unity for some odd reason).
The solution I linked to worked for me on my K53 based ASUS laptop. I use suspend daily and often several times within an hour. Just make the file and don't forget to set its permissions.
If you do get it fixed, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Somebody is always willing to help.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jetro on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Thank you. That did not work, though. :(

It does just the same as before, and, as I let it go for a while without manually shutting down, it turns on both the fans again and is running like it's swithced on normally. The screen is black when I open the lid and the power button lit up normally.
Jetro
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions