Gnome and KDE desktop in one installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Gnome and KDE desktop in one installation

Postby muddey on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:41 am

Howdy all,

I've been using LinuxMint since Daryana came out and have been sticking to the gnome desktop. I haven't really given KDE a shot yet but am thinking about giving it a shot. I don't want to re-install or dual boot Daryana and Daryana KDE CE but I'm sure there's a way you can install the KDE desktop onto my existing installation. I.e I would like to be able to choose which desktop environment to use when I log in.

I searched the forum but couldn't find a guide how to do this. It would be great if someone to explain what libs I need to download and what options are out there. I found an old Ubuntu article that said to install 'kubuntu-desktop' which would also install KDE apps like Konquerer etc.

Thanks in advance!
muddey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome and KDE desktop in one installation

Postby MagnusB on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:52 am

You can install KDE, but you'll get kubuntu. If you want KDE CE you have to dual boot.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Zwopper on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:32 am

MagnusB wrote:You can install KDE, but you'll get kubuntu. If you want KDE CE you have to dual boot.

...or run a virtualbox... :wink: 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muddey on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Alright lads, thanks for a quick answer.

To the developers. Do you plan to include this in future releases? If two people share a PC but want different desktop environments it would be great if it could be done easily.

Cheers
muddey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 pm

I'm kind of wondering if it's possible to make a remaster with both versions in one.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions