Questions about GNOME from a KDE user

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Questions about GNOME from a KDE user

Postby lambesk on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:17 am

Hello everyone. First of all, I'd like to say that I really like Linux Mint. I've tried both the main and KDE editions. I thought I'd give GNOME a try for a while because I like the changes that were done to it. Having said that, there are some differences in the two desktop environments that I haven't quite figured out. The most important one is how to set up the default language for separate users. I have the default keyboards set up, but I would like to change my wife's default language to Turkish somehow. I can do it by changing the language on the GDM login screen, but then I have to switch back to English when I log in. Is there any way to keep GDM set to English, but have her GNOME go to Turkish upon login?

The other things I'm wondering about are relatively minor differences between the KDE and main editions. First of all, I really liked the Compiz options menu under KDE, but I don't see anything like that under GNOME. All the options you have under Appearance -> Visual Effects are None, Typical, and Extra. It would be neat to have all the different config options that you get with the KDE CE. I think I should be able to install a package to get that up and running, but I don't know which one to look for...

One other thing about Compiz under GNOME that is different is that when I have the Extra options selected and attempt to run Quake 4, it forces my game in to windowed mode and makes it unplayable forcing me to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace the X session. When the settings are on typical, everything runs perfectly. It didn't do this under KDE, so I have no idea where to begin really.

Ok, last thing. Really. Is there any way to add the Add or Remove Programs package manager to the main edition? I installed Adept Manager, but I just love how the Add or Remove Programs manager organizes things so efficiently. If you can add it, what would be the command to run it in case I have to use sudo to get it going? Like I said, other than these fairly minor issues, I'm really pleased with what you all have done with GNOME under Linux Mint. It finally feels right to me.

P.S. -- My brother was wondering if there would be any upgrade option for the next versions of Mint so that we don't have to keep formatting every time a new release comes out.
lambesk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Questions about GNOME from a KDE user

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 am

Personally i love Gnome because it is so clean and neat and Zen!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ed@Mint on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:06 am

Switching from KDE to Gnome is heresy ! :twisted: :lol:

I can't tell you about gnome options.
I just wanted to inform you that an 'update thing' won't be included in Mint 5 'Elyssa' but it probably will with Mint 6.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Andy Mack on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:37 am

Regarding Compiz, you need to install compizconfig manager.
It will be placed under System/Preferences
Andy Mack
Level 3
Level 3

Postby McLovin on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:22 am

ok, here is how to get the Compiz Manager, open a terminal and enter
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
that will get you the compiz config, the Add Remove Programs dialog, can be gotten by entering
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install
in terminal.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lambesk on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. Now that I have that Compiz manager installed, I should be able to fix my Quake 4 issue. :)
lambesk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lambesk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 am

Thanks again for the help. I'd like to let you all know that I fixed my Quake 4 issue by disabling all options under Window Management that were enabled except for Move and Resize Windows and that seemed to help the Xserver keep Quake 4 out of windowed mode. I'll play around with it a bit more to see what option exactly was causing the issue, but it's working now so that's all that matters. :)

As for the language thing, I'm a bit unattentive it seems. After logging my wife in with English from GDM but not setting it to default, her desktop language was still set to Turkish. She'll be happy about that. :oops:

Keep up the good work! Linux Mint is definitely my distribution of choice now.
lambesk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lantesh on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:16 am

Myself and others I've talked to have all had the same issues with running games while compiz-fusion is enabled. I get the same window issue you have. My solution was to install compiz-switch. It's a little utility that is nothing more than an on/off switch for compiz. I just hit the switch when I want to play games.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions