Removal of Screensavers and Wallpapers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Removal of Screensavers and Wallpapers

Postby NewbieCakes on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 am

Hello, I am a Linux Mint newb..and a Linux newb at that..I have tried over a dozen distros in the month since I switched to GNU/Linux and I really love this one!! My current problem is that my system (with 768MB ram) is understandably bogged what with the Compiz-Fusion toys but I just couldn't stay away from them..I am trying to cut down on things I never use, one of which is screensavers...I liked two or three in the list but I have never been one to use a screensaver...I am unsure how to remove some of them or if it's possible since Google couldn't tell me (lol)...I hope this doesn't offend because I really do love this distro more than any other I have tried so far but I can't afford to get any more memory right now so I must cut down on things I have no use for...
Can someone assist me with this please?
Oh, and I am a command-line moron, so please bear with me :)
Thank you
For me, Mr. Right is probably Mr. Institutionalized
NewbieCakes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Removal of Screensavers and Wallpapers

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:19 am

I like your signature :)
but I can't figure out what you are asking for :shock:
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Andy Mack on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:57 am

Check out System/Administration/System Monitor from there you can see what is using most of your memory.

Compiz is great and all but getting rid of it will make a huge difference.
You can disable services and boot up apps in sessions which will also speed things up.
And of course more ram will help too but not always possible.

As far as wallpapers go I dont think it has as much impact on usage as it does in windows but I could be wrong.
Screensavers are sleeping when not in use and as of now on my comp only use 964.0KB of ram.

Google for something like "speed up ubuntu" will show you further ways but BE CAREFUL.
Andy Mack
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NewbieCakes on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:32 am

To Husse:
Thanks..I can't take credit; I quoted it from some blog I ran across but I thought it was hilarious..

To
Andy Mack:
Thank you for your advice; I looked and oddly enough Opera was using almost 100MB...not sure how that is *shrugs*...at some point I will have to earn the extra money for the memory though because in less than 3 days I have become addicted to the Cube..lol
For me, Mr. Right is probably Mr. Institutionalized
NewbieCakes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:48 am

Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install sysv-rc-conf

Deactivate services you don't need, but be careful so you don't deactivate some essential services or something :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions