SoSo I installed Fedora on another partition and then...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

SoSo I installed Fedora on another partition and then...

Postby Google Spider on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 am

Hi all :!:

Just installed Fedora and now when I boot into Linux Mint it takes me to command line asking for root password for maintenance. I can get into the GUI by pressing Ctrl+D but what is really worrying me is that it said that some disc has died :cry: and a log has been saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs :roll:

The log is this

Tue Apr 22 16:54:48 2008

fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=c18c7636-683e-4646-9057-e89e405b95da'
fsck died with exit status 8

Tue Apr 22 16:54:48 2008
----------------

I really don't understand the "log language" so if someone could.....um.... interpret this for me :wink: ....and what should I do now :?:

Thanks
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: SoSo I installed Fedora on another partition and then...

Postby ed@Mint on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 am

Hi,

That is called UUID hell :wink:
The UUID is quite like md5sums for iso files, but for your disk partitions.
You will have to edit your /etc/fstab file.
It is well explained in the Linux Mint wiki : http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/UUID_-what_is_it_and_why_is_it_a_problem
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions