SoSo I installed Fedora on another partition and then...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

SoSo I installed Fedora on another partition and then...

Postby Google Spider on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 am

Hi all :!:

Just installed Fedora and now when I boot into Linux Mint it takes me to command line asking for root password for maintenance. I can get into the GUI by pressing Ctrl+D but what is really worrying me is that it said that some disc has died :cry: and a log has been saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs :roll:

The log is this

Tue Apr 22 16:54:48 2008

fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=c18c7636-683e-4646-9057-e89e405b95da'
fsck died with exit status 8

Tue Apr 22 16:54:48 2008
----------------

I really don't understand the "log language" so if someone could.....um.... interpret this for me :wink: ....and what should I do now :?:

Thanks
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: SoSo I installed Fedora on another partition and then...

Postby ed@Mint on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 am

Hi,

That is called UUID hell :wink:
The UUID is quite like md5sums for iso files, but for your disk partitions.
You will have to edit your /etc/fstab file.
It is well explained in the Linux Mint wiki : http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/UUID_-what_is_it_and_why_is_it_a_problem
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions