Firefox auto update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Firefox auto update

Post by Fred »

Beatnikboy,

Yes, they usually are security related.... Windows security related.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

As I understand, Mint updates are directly connected with Ubuntu updates. If Ubuntu has updated to 2.0.0.14, then Mint will also get it.
But you can of course do this yourself.
If you want to download the latest version from the site, place it on your Desktop. Then:
cd ~/Desktop
tar xvzf firefox-2.0.0.14.tar.gz
cd firefox
./firefox

Make sure firefox is closed when you do this.

atlef.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Beatnikboy,
Seems my Puppy Linux install is Windows based then, as it auto updated ages ago. :shock:
Your sarcasm is duly noted. My point was that most of the security related updates affect and apply to Windows installs rather than Linux installs. It doesn't mean there is one version number for Linux and another for Windows.

I am fairly familiar with Puppy Linux, use it myself as a tool kit. If you have Puppy installed conventionally to a hard drive, you run in root all the time. This is very unwise, and you should be more concerned with venerabilities. Puppy doesn't have a security team nor the infrastructure to push security fixes to its users, therefore it is dependent on upstream fixes to the applications themselves.

As atlef pointed out, Mint uses the Ubuntu repos. Ubuntu has a rather large and active security team. They are constantly issuing security updates. Just because the version number hasn't changed doesn't mean that Ubuntu and diriviatives are venerable. Actually, Ubuntu venerabilities are dealt with pretty rapidly.

Sometimes a bit of research is in order before jumping to conclusions. The higher version number is not necessarily indicative of a better or more secure program, within the context of the overall system it is running on.

Fred
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Mint uses a branded version of Firefox, which identifies the user agent as Linux Mint and helps generate revenue for Mint. It has to be updated by Mint before being put in the repos. See the following for more information and Clem's explanation:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... nt+firefox

Ken
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Beatnikboy,

Even though 2.0---14 may now be in the Ubuntu repos, The accuracy of my post still stands. That is the way the system works. I didn't just dream it up my friend. You have no security problem if you run the 2.0---- 13 branded version in Mint.
Title: Crash in JavaScript garbage collector
Impact: Critical
Announced: April 16, 2008
Reporter: Mozilla Developers
Products: Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey

Fixed in: Firefox 2.0.0.14
Thunderbird 2.0.0.14
SeaMonkey 1.1.10
Description

Fixes for security problems in the JavaScript engine described in MFSA 2008-15 (CVE-2008-1237) introduced a stability problem, where some users experienced crashes during JavaScript garbage collection. This is being fixed primarily to address stability concerns.

Attachments
Apple Crash Report (23.58 KB, text/plain)
2008-03-27 20:28 PDT, Kohei Yoshino no flags Details
Windows Vista Talkback Log (126.52 KB, text/plain)
2008-03-27 21:44 PDT, Kohei Yoshino
I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”