General Program Installation solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

General Program Installation solved

Postby OldnBold on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Tried the FAQs, I am the only person in the world who cannot install programs to Mint. I was told Ubuntu/Mint was easy, but...........

Using Mint KDE, (the full install), just (UP/DOWN)graded to this from SUSE 10.2

I wish to install wine,
located that on your add programs page, and clicked <INSTALL>. Just got a 290 file called - 'wine.mint -- 290 B Gzip'
double clicked that and was told it was an "unknown" format but ark would open it.
Saved it to a new subDir
this produced a folder called STEPS, inside a file called 1 -- 49B, wording as follows

TITLE Installing Wine Doors
INSTALL wine-doors

End of line.

I have tried Katapult, a KDE Launcher, Adept launcher, neither liked it.

Went to the KDE control center / system administration/windows apps and was told I did not have wine installed, WOULD I LIKE IT TO BE?

WOW - GASP - WOULD I EVER............... I answered "yes"

Was sternly told:-
There was a problem running - software-properties-kde. Make sure software-properties-kde is installed.

I was going to simply reinstall my Suse 10.2 and forget it, but thought I would try here first. I used to have linspire 5 and prior to that Mandrake (always KDE), tried Mint Gnome, now Mint KDE.

Also sorely missed <ctrl><alt><esc> to kill frozen programs. What happened to that???
OldnBold
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: General Program Installation

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:31 am

You must have done something wrong. If you open the software portal from the menu you can search for wine and a page opens
Portal » Daryna » System Tools » Wine
http://www.linuxmint.com/software/?sec= ... &release=2
When you click "Install now" if you use Firefox you get the standard Firefox pop up "What to do with this file" and Open with mintInstall is the default and that installs wine. All that's going on is "invisible" to you
<ctrl><alt><esc> seems to work with some programs and not others, but no "skull and bones" just "poff"
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby OldnBold on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:30 am

Many thanks. Now installed on laptop. My problem was that in windows I was in the habit (if planning to install on two machines) of downloading to hard drive then using more than once. That was failing as nothing wanted to take the downloaded file and run with it. :shock: :shock:

I did as you suggested and it has all gone as advertised. We still only have a slow connection, and pay by the meg so was trying to save logged in time. :lol:

Once again, thanks a lot, will do the same with desktop machine.

Cheers

:D :D :D :D
OldnBold
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Ok I see
If the program installed comes in the form of a .deb file you can reuse it
You find it in /var/cache/apt and you need of course to know the name - many programs installed by mintInstall is in the form of a deb
Thsi deb can then be copied to a CD/DVD and used on another machine
I did not understand your question this way
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: General Program Installation solved

Postby OldnBold on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 am

Thanks again. I was accustomed to rpm's in Suse also, and after downloading once would pop them across our home network to my wifes machine or the laptop. I did not really believe that a390k file held the program, but figured that it would fire up the installer and proceed, but this did not happen.

Should have deleted the "teasers" and gone from scratch as I did after your email.

Thanks again, we are enjoying Mint, great not to have to fight to run a movie. As we have stuck with KDE in the past I prefer it to the Gnome which we tried first, I prefer to be able to configure things without going to terminals. Had enough of that in the dark days of MSDOS, and refuse to learn another language now.

Thanks again - really miss <ctrl><alt><esc> as a killer.
OldnBold
Level 1
Level 1

Re: General Program Installation solved

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:57 am

I did not really believe that a390k file held the program

The .mint file I guess
It's just a set of instructions that is followed to install whatever ....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions