LM Maximum System Requirements

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LM Maximum System Requirements

Postby r1bby on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:15 am

Afternoon all,

I have been reading up about LinuxMint and have decided to give it a try and see for myself tonight,
I'm currently using an XP based system and refuse to go to Vista (cost & little difference to XP being my main two reasons) I have read that 2010 will be the last year that MS will support XP so I want to look at something different & get myself off the MS band wagon before I'm pushed into a new expensive upgrade I don't want.

I have a spare 40gb hard drive which I will use to install LinuxMint on so I can fiddle around until my hearts content,
however one issue that has cropped up in my mind in system requirements...
In winXP 32bit based system, the maximum ram the PC will see is a virtual 3 & 1/2gb RAM,
does LM have the same system limitations? One of the troubles with MS is that to exceed the ram you need to goto 64bit system, which many software companies don't support. I want to upgrade my PC whenever I want & when funds allow, will using LM give me that option? From what I read it seems like modular software so people can write/add (for want of a better terminology) new code to LM when things arise.

Thanks for your help! :-)
r1bby
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM Maximum System Requirements

Postby atlef on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:08 am

Linux Mint is also 32bit, so you are stuck with it using the same amount of ram.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM Maximum System Requirements

Postby r1bby on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 am

Ah thanks for your reply, I had dug around and found another forum on linux website saying it was 32bit so I kinda guessed it would be restricted. Same hardware problem as the millenium bug, great idea saving space, cost & time by restricting the system parameters until you reach the celing...
r1bby
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions