AMDx2 Only reading as 2.0GHz

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

AMDx2 Only reading as 2.0GHz

Postby Mo.nk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:07 am

Hey i just installed Mint (Again after trying Fedora) and for some reason my processor is running at 100% but it only says 2000 mhz but i have a 2.1GHZ AMDx2 Turion so i was wondering why because ive tryed 3 other linux Distro's and this is the only one that doesnt show up right, also i was wondering if i need to download something to allow me to increase and decrease my cpu speed because there is no option to do so and i could do it in Vista and some other Linux distros. Thanks for the help, lol this is the final problem i have with Mint, you guys have helped me solve all the other ones.
Mo.nk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: AMDx2 Only reading as 2.0GHz

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:51 am

Which version of Mint?
What hardware (apart from the cpu)?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Mo.nk on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:41 am

Im using Mint 2.6.22-14-Generic, and im using 3Gigs of ram, what other hardware do you need to know? i cant see what my other hardware would have to do with my processor reading wrong, Thanks for replying :)
Mo.nk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:30 am

I think you are thinking about frequency scaling, and I belive the default is set to Dynamic, so you downgrade or upgrade as needed. As for the CPU speed, I have no idea, sorry.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:50 am

Mo.nk wrote:Hey i just installed Mint (Again after trying Fedora) and for some reason my processor is running at 100% but it only says 2000 mhz but i have a 2.1GHZ AMDx2 Turion so i was wondering why because ive tryed 3 other linux Distro's and this is the only one that doesnt show up right, also i was wondering if i need to download something to allow me to increase and decrease my cpu speed because there is no option to do so and i could do it in Vista and some other Linux distros. Thanks for the help, lol this is the final problem i have with Mint, you guys have helped me solve all the other ones.

There are often variations of as much as 100mhz in CPUs, and this is quite harmless. Most often, when you get a CPU speed rating, you are getting a read from the chipset, which gives you the "sticker specs" rating, which in my case is 1.6 x2cores. However, my cores *actually run at 1.67. If I set an FSB multiplier to 266 from 200, I'll just as often get an actual CPU speed of 2.13 as 2.14.

Actual CPU speeds just vary like that, mate ;-) In your case, a difference between 2.0 and 2.1 GHZ doesn't strike me as terribly odd ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions