how to switch between Cinnamon && MATE desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
armstrong311

how to switch between Cinnamon && MATE desktop

Post by armstrong311 »

hi, I have both Cinnnmon && MATE DVD ISOs,I just installed the Mint 14 Cinnamon desktop . Here is the question, If I want to switch between Cinnmon && MATE , HOW TO DO? Thanks~

Hope u guys understand....My English is not very good... :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: how to switch between Cinnamon && MATE desktop

Post by xenopeek »

Well, there are two answers to that depending on what you did. If you installed Linux Mint once, and added both these desktop environments to the same installation, then you can select which desktop environment to run from the login screen (see the controls at the bottom of the login screen, there is one to change your session). If you installed Linux Mint twice, that is you installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon and alongside that you installed Linux Mint with MATE, then you can select which Linux Mint to run from the GRUB boot menu. That should be shown by default during boot.
StratosJL

Post by StratosJL »

Hello, I have the same question. I installed Mint 14, Mate Version. I want to be able to switch back and forth between Cinnamon and Mate. However, when I try to install Cinnamon, I get an error message for the package mint-info-cinnamon, because it tries to overwrite a file from package mint-info-mate!

What to do?
armstrong311

Post by armstrong311 »

xenopeek wrote:Well, there are two answers to that depending on what you did. If you installed Linux Mint once, and added both these desktop environments to the same installation, then you can select which desktop environment to run from the login screen (see the controls at the bottom of the login screen, there is one to change your session). If you installed Linux Mint twice, that is you installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon and alongside that you installed Linux Mint with MATE, then you can select which Linux Mint to run from the GRUB boot menu. That should be shown by default during boot.
I mean that I want two desktop environment in the same installation. And I was a ubuntu user, I had used both KDE && Gnome3 in Ubuntu. so If I login in Cinnamon environment ,how to install MATE environment? (some commands or DEB packages ?) :mrgreen: :?:
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

You can install the package "mint-meta-mate" using Synaptic to get the whole Mint MATE desktop.
DrPhill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrPhill »

xenopeek wrote:Well, there are two answers to that depending on what you did. If you installed Linux Mint once, and added both these desktop environments to the same installation, then you can select which desktop environment to run from the login screen (see the controls at the bottom of the login screen, there is one to change your session). ......................
That sounds like what I need - where can I find the instructions to do this (ie install both desktop environments to one Mint installation). I have been planning to try cinnamon but dont want to make the whole leap yet. Mint 14 soounds like an ideal occasion to try this.

(PS, when I do this can I point the iinstal at my mint13 home partition with a reasonable expectation of finding my data exactly as I left it in Miint 13?).

Thanks for any help

Phill
Started with Mint 12 ... flirted with Ubuntu at 18.x.
Now back to Mint with XFCE. Loving it, thanks to all who have contributed.

Phill

Return to “Beginner Questions”