How do I increase the size of icons and font in menu[solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepla

How do I increase the size of icons and font in menu[solved]

Post by deepla »

Hi ,
I have installed Mint 13 cinnamon 32 bit for an elderly person. How can i increase the size of font and icons in menu
My appearance tab does not show an option to change the font; there is only an option to change desktop background.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coltstrgj

Re: How do I increase the size of icons and font in menu

Post by coltstrgj »

Text size is in "universal access" and also in "cinnamon settings" under fonts. The cinnamon settings has more control and is a little easier to get perfect i think I would also recommend turning hot corners off if they are used to windows. If they are used to Mac then under windows change the buttons to match a mac.
To change the icon size, open the home folder, and click Edit in the menu bar. Click preferences, and It will be under icon view defaults, but I would set up the other zooms also so that they are the same. You can also hold ctrl and scroll in the folders to re-size the icons in the folders. Hope I helped.
deepla

Post by deepla »

Thank you coltstrgj ,
I was able to improve the appearance a lot. Is there any way to increase the size of the task bar and the items and icons that appear on it ? Also can we increase the size of the icons in ((start ) Menu ?
Thank you
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

You can add the applet Accessibility to the panel. It has some nice options...
To change the menu font, you need some editing in cinnamon.css.
Is your theme installed by default, or did you install it yourself?
If it's pre-installed:
1. Run Gedit as root. Open a terminal and type "gksu gedit", then type in your password when asked.
2. From the File menu, choose Open, then navigate to File System/usr/share/themes/YourThemeName/cinnamon/cinnamon.css. Open it.
3. Scroll up to the beginning of the file. You will see something similar to this: "font-size: <number>px". Change the number to the font size you want, then save it. DONE!
Note that this is just for the menu text and taskbar text, other elements (tooltip etc.) won't change...
deepla

Post by deepla »

Thanks abnvolk,
That should help

Return to “Beginner Questions”