Places menu still opens Nautilus, even after updating to Nem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Places menu still opens Nautilus, even after updating to Nem

Postby praveenp on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 am

Hi,
Today I updated my Mint Maya Laptop. It successfully updated, including Cinnamon 1.6.7.maya and Nemo 1.1.2. After updating, Whenever I tried to open file browser (using Computer/home Icon in Desktop, or by clicking mounted device in places in Menu, or by clicking Home icon in favorites section in Menu) It randomly opened nautilus or Nemo. Among them mounted devices in Places and bookmarks menu consistently opened in Nautilus irrespective of medium mounted in. So I decided to remove nautilus. I removed nautilus, using apt-get remove. After that, items in places menu opens in VLC (again irrespective of Medium)! I reinstalled nautilus, and it started to open in Nautilus. While having two file browsers, openwith menu gives two file options, one to Nemo and other to Nautilus (http://i.imagebanana.com/img/qig49yoj/W ... e1_025.png). I like to use single file browser. This is my primary machine, so it is not possible for me to update it to Nadia soon. Please help.
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
praveenp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Places menu still opens Nautilus, even after updating to

Postby praveenp on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 am

I don't know how, but this fixed the issue! Go to /usr/share/applications/ open defaults.list with elevated permissions. Change the only entry for nautilus to nemo. (ie: inode/directory=nautilus.desktop). Immediately worked. :-) Thanks to this post: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=115611&p=648075#p648075
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
praveenp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Places menu still opens Nautilus, even after updating to

Postby praveenp on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 am

Above solution is actually not completely worked. It reset itself to default nautilus value after every shutdown. So I created a "defaults.list" file in ~/.local/share/applications/ and filled it with
Code: Select all
[Default Applications]
inode/directory=nemo.desktop

Which solved the problem in User Level.
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
praveenp
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions