Settings are lost once PC is turned off in Linux Mint 14

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rameshiit19

Settings are lost once PC is turned off in Linux Mint 14

Post by rameshiit19 »

Hi,
I have just installed Linux Mint 14 (64 Bit) inside Windows 7 . What ever setting changes I make , it gets lost once I restart the PC . I have tried it thrice and the same has happened . How can I overcome this ?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Settings are lost once PC is turned off in Linux Mint 14

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rameshiit19,

welcome to the club of those who stepped into a mean little trap implemented into the Mint4win installation procedure: Linux Mint 14 isn't saving settings and data.

Every Mint4win installation is separated into two phases:
+ phase 1 runs inside Windows and only serves to prepare phase 2
+ phase 2 is the real Linux installation

Phase 2 should launch automatically after Mint4win has initiated a reboot at the end of phase 1.
Yet, as a matter of fact, at least since Mint 12 phase 2 will not be launched automatically any longer.
After the reboot a normal Linux Mint live system starts up. And you have to initiate the real Linux Mint installation by clicking on the desktop icon "Install Linux Mint" yourself manually.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
rameshiit19

Post by rameshiit19 »

Thanks a lot karlchen !

I have installed Linux Mint by clicking "Install Linux Mint" in my desktop . I am a newbie to Mint , so was not aware of it earlier .
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rameshiit19.

If recent versions of Mint4win behaved like older versions seem to have done and like Wubi still does, then the second phase, the real Linux installation after the first reboot, should start without user intervention.
No idea whether this has been changed on purpose or whether no-one has taken the time to fix the problem.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”