Just switched from ubuntu, "unable to mount floppy disk", an

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
parkland

Just switched from ubuntu, "unable to mount floppy disk", an

Post by parkland »

I just installed mint 14 on 2 computers, every time it boots, on the desktop, a window pops up and says "unable to mount floppy disk"

I used ubuntu since 7. something, I just can't handle unity and the windows among other things, it just doesn't seem to be what I wanted anymore.
I love mint so far, hopefully there are not any major issues !!! :)

Also, I have a "movies" folder I want to share, how can I add "everyone" to the users on it, so that there won't be any issues with media players over the network?
Right now, and previously on ubuntu, I was having issues where it would work fine for days, then the folder contents would be inaccessible over the network to media players or computers.
It's just a normal home network with a 8 port switch, router, and every computer and device is plugged into the switch.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
parkland

Re: Just switched from ubuntu, "unable to mount floppy disk"

Post by parkland »

Well, just figured out my file sharing issue, I think.
Had to add a line in samba config file "forceuser=myusername".
Son of a....... that took literally months to actually figure out. :lol:

I can't believe more people haven't run accross the same issue I had.
Doesn't anyone share lots of files over the network?

So now... about the floppy disk error message every boot up.....?
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

About the boot floppy error - I think it's a grub thing. Every place in grub.cfg that contains the search command contains the option --no-floppy; as in this snippet:

Code: Select all

if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos8 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos8 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos8  51fe57df-a552-4464-859d-2447eef61ba3
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 51fe57df-a552-4464-859d-2447eef61ba3
fi
parkland

Post by parkland »

BoscoBearbank wrote:About the boot floppy error - I think it's a grub thing. Every place in grub.cfg that contains the search command contains the option --no-floppy; as in this snippet:

Code: Select all

if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos8 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos8 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos8  51fe57df-a552-4464-859d-2447eef61ba3
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 51fe57df-a552-4464-859d-2447eef61ba3
fi

So then just go in and delete the --no-floppy ' s out of it?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

BoscoBearbank wrote:About the boot floppy error - I think it's a grub thing
No it's not, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1054414 particularly #42/43.
Last edited by remoulder on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Remoulder,

Your link is kapudt :lol:

-DataMan
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

DataMan wrote:Your link is kapudt
Thanks, fixed (I hope!)
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”