nvidia driver

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: nvidia driver

Post by zerozero »

bumblebee will manage both gpus, you don't have to (actually you shouldn't) install any other driver, if you do it will mess things badly.

what bumblebee does (trying to explain in a simple way) is give you 3D by default using the intel card, if you need to use intensive gpu application you use the command

Code: Select all

optirun <appname>
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Have you tried to download the Video Driver from NVIDIA and then install it from the CLI and updating your Xorg file?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kbkatz1 wrote:Have you tried to download the Video Driver from NVIDIA and then install it from the CLI and updating your Xorg file?
it won't work
ozpy

Post by ozpy »

zerozero wrote:bumblebee will manage both gpus, you don't have to (actually you shouldn't) install any other driver, if you do it will mess things badly.

what bumblebee does (trying to explain in a simple way) is give you 3D by default using the intel card, if you need to use intensive gpu application you use the command

Code: Select all

optirun <appname>
I have nvidia 650MT... should I neglect this statement on the Bumblebee post you provided?

For more up-to-date nvidia drivers, you need to add another PPA. As of 12.04, this is still necessary for Nvidia GT 6xxM cards. It may be optional for the GT 4xxM and GT 5xxM series on 12.04. When in doubt, just install it. The command is:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-update
s
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

with nadia (quantal) your card is already supported (at least has drivers that minimally support it - this is the problem with state-of-the-art hardware: linux has to catch-up on it and there's a gap of non-support for some weeks/months)
from what i read online bumblebee as-is should work; the additional ppa is "only" to give you "more up-to-date drivers", but both ways should work
ozpy

Post by ozpy »

bumblebee worked. I have great performance.

1) Chrome://gpu : great

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated on all pages and threaded
3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
CSS Animation: Accelerated and threaded
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL multisampling: Hardware accelerated
Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
Texture Sharing: Hardware accelerated
Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
Video: Hardware accelerated
Panel Fitting: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled.
Force Compositing Mode: Hardware accelerated
GPU Switching: Automatic switching

2) Hardware acceleration stress test https://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/hardw ... eleration/ is giving me +60FPS in 3 seconds (before never went more than 50 FPS and took +9 secs to reach 50 FPS)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm glad to see that it's working :D
neuromancer1970

Post by neuromancer1970 »

My graphics card still doesn't work on linux. I guess this card may never work until the Nouveux drivers are updated to support it. I installed Mint Olivia a week ago and once again, it defaulted to the IvyBridge graphics driver. I had 3.8.0.19 version of the kernel and installed BumbleBee per instructions on the wiki. I now have 3.8.0.23 but after reboot, I'm still using the IvyBridge driver. These are the last few lines from the install messages.

DKMS: install completed.
Setting up bumblebee (3.2.1-1~raringppa2) ...
Adding members from group(s) 'adm sudo admin' to 'bumblebee':
Selecting 01:00:0 as discrete nvidia card. If this is incorrect,
edit the BusID line in /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nouveau .
bumblebeed start/running, process 14149
Setting up virtualgl-libs:amd64 (2.3.2-1~raringppa2) ...
Setting up virtualgl-libs:i386 (2.3.2-1~raringppa2) ...
Setting up virtualgl (2.3.2-1~raringppa2) ...
Setting up virtualgl-libs-ia32 (2.3.2-1~raringppa2) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-23-generic
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Setting up bumblebee-nvidia (3.2.1-1~raringppa2) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
Selecting 01:00:0 as discrete nvidia card. If this is incorrect,
edit the BusID line in /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
Error: Module nouveau is in use
bumblebeed stop/waiting
bumblebeed start/running, process 21347
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

inxi -SGx
System: Host: jdunn-Notebook-PC Kernel: 3.8.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
jdunn@jdunn-Notebook-PC ~ $ inxi -SGx
System: Host: jdunn-Notebook-PC Kernel: 3.8.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
neuromancer1970

Post by neuromancer1970 »

Also, I earlier used an inxi -SGx BEFORE installing BumbleBee and I remember the results for X.Org said something to the effect of "(failed) Nouveux driver at resolution 1920x1080" and for the GXL Renderer, it had the "Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge" message. I never tried it at a lower resolution but that doesn't matter to me. I want to run at the highest native resolution my card supports, 1920x1080.

Return to “Beginner Questions”