Difference between "Move To Trash" and "Delete"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3xOSC

Difference between "Move To Trash" and "Delete"

Post by 3xOSC »

What is the difference between these two when I right click on a file?

What happens when I press the delete key on my keyboard, which of these two options does it do?

Furthermore, how come when I delete things from my USB or SD card, there are "artifacts" left in an hidden folder on USB?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gord

Re: Difference between "Move To Trash" and "Delete"

Post by Gord »

3xOSC wrote:What is the difference between these two when I right click on a file?
"Move to Trash" does just what it says. "Delete" bypasses the Trash and deletes the file permanently.
3xOSC wrote:What happens when I press the delete key on my keyboard, which of these two options does it do?
[Delete] = Move to Trash
[Shift-Delete] = Delete (permanently, with warning)
3xOSC wrote:Furthermore, how come when I delete things from my USB or SD card, there are "artifacts" left in an hidden folder on USB?
They are part of the file system. If you have things in the Trash on that drive then that's where they are kept. If you empty the trash then the hidden folders remain there for the next time.
3xOSC

Re: Difference between "Move To Trash" and "Delete"

Post by 3xOSC »

Thank you sir

Return to “Beginner Questions”