Whats Goin' On Here?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Whats Goin' On Here?

Postby derpie28 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:05 am

Hey, This is a real newbie question, but when I go to install packages, they appear in applications right? Well when I install "certain" applicatons, they say they install but i cant find them under applications or when i type it in the search bar... Is there some way to run them in the terminal? :?

P.S. Im using linux mint 14 :D
derpie28
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Whats Goin' On Here?

Postby Gord on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 am

derpie28 wrote:when I install "certain" applicatons, they say they install but i cant find them under applications or when i type it in the search bar... Is there some way to run them in the terminal? :?

Probably. Can you give us an example of one of these "certain" applications you're talking about?
Gord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 am

Exactly, give some examples. Very probably you are installing command line applications, which indeed are intended to be run in the terminal. Those of course don't create a menu entry (that would be silly and pointless). Normally you run the progra just by typing its name (in lower case) in the terminal, check online documentation if it doesn't.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby derpie28 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 am

Oh, I installed remmina and its not anywhere in my applications, ans yes i did install it from software manager. It claims to be a gnome application.
derpie28
Level 1
Level 1

Postby derpie28 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 am

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Those of course don't create a menu entry (that would be silly and pointless). Normally you run the progra just by typing its name (in lower case) in the terminal.

OH WAIT! it worked! Thanks! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
derpie28
Level 1
Level 1

Postby n180 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks, typing "remmina" in terminal worked for me too, after spending ages trying to figure out where it had disappeared to after install, when it did not appear in applications. I even read in a tutorial for using remmina, that after installing it on linux it you can access it via applications. Quite annoying for newbs. Out of curiosity, why does it not appear in applications and how can I create a shortcut icon for it to put it on desktop or panel if I can only access it through terminal?
n180
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 900i on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 am

Install the gui that goes with it. Think it is remina-gtk or gui or somesuch. Open package manager ang search for it.

Scratch that, Just installed it myself and it works OK. Must have got mixed up with something else. Sorry. :?
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions