VLC Can not turn off

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danieljackson

VLC Can not turn off

Post by danieljackson »

I can not turn of VLC in Linux Mint, I have uninstalled vlc and it is still listed in system resources.

In System monitor it is using up most of the cpu procsesses by at least 80% or more.

In system monitor it saids it is sleeping but the cpu is showing at least 40% in use which is slowing down the computer.

I have used "End Process" and it has not stopped the process.

Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Thanks Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VLC Can not turn off

Post by 67GTA »

You could try

Code: Select all

killall vlc
in a terminal. Or try

ps -e | grep -i VLC
The first 4 numbers you should see is the process "ID" number. Then

kill -9 <insert the number here>
If you have uninstalled vlc, a reboot should clear everything. It sounds like a memory leak.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Beginner Questions”