Install gone wrong

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Install gone wrong

Post by caf4926 »

Try rebooting the live session

If necessary, connect the HD after it has booted

I never had this happen before. It's kind of odd
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

It may be refusing to delete because the swap partition is being used. The live OS will automatically mount a swap partition and GParted won't delete a partition that is mounted. To unmount a swap partition:
sudo swapoff /dev/sdaX
where x is the partition number. In this case x=5
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I didnt know you could plug a drive in after the machine is running. Won't that crash it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a good reply here! The swapoff allowed me to create a new table and that removed all the drives!!! I created the new swap partition at 4500m. In the image and video that was posted last night there was another drive that was created at 2.4g. What is the purpose of that drive?

BTW...thank you for all the support.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

The images and video I post are just a guide
Baically all you need for mint is

sawp
ext4 for the system

I use another ext4 for /home
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

Got it.

Ok, I now have...

dev/sda
/dev/sda1 swap 524m
/dev/sda2 ext4 4.2g
/dev/sda5 ext4 100g
/dev/sda6 ext4 100g
/dev/sda7 ext4 100g
/dev/sda8 ext4 180g

YES!

I want to put Mint on sda5. I will be installing 2 other flavors on sda6/7 and the Installation box is asking..."Device for boot loader installation:" and lists all my shiny new drives. What should I select for this option?
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Select /dev/sda (not /dev/sda1,2,3,...) so that Grub boot code is put at the MBR (master boot record) and not in a PBR (partition boot record). There always has to be boot code in the MBR and Grub is not really designed to work reliably in a PBR.
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

Looking good. dev/sda is the boot loader info and sda5 I set for "/". Ready to install Mint on sda5, correct?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

lonewolf69 wrote:Looking good. dev/sda is the boot loader info and sda5 I set for "/". Ready to install Mint on sda5, correct?
sounds OK
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

WooHoo!!!! HDD is setup correctly now and running Mint on sda5. Time to try installing OpenSuse and either Fedora or Mandriva on the other 2 drives. Any recommendations?

Where do I put a thank you for your help? Seriously, thank you for all the help here.
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I am trying to install Mandriva and am at the "Choose the mount points" screen. I tried to install it as "/" on another drive but I get this error...

"There is already a partition with mount point /"

Why is this and how do I need to set the mount points for 3 distros?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Each / must be to a different partition
You set Mint to sda5
Mandriva or openSUSE will need their own partition.

openSUSE defaults to having a /home as well, which is going to confuse you, because when you opt out of it, a bug throws the settings that you made in the advanced partitioner.Once you uncheck the the /home option, you need to go back a reselect the partition for /
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I am trying to install Mandriva on sda6 which is a separate logical partition. But it is still throwing the error. I thought that since I was installing the O/S's on separate logical partitions it would just work (HAHA, I'm getting a partitioning class this week!). So now I am confused. If I am installing the other distro's on separate partitions why am I getting the error? I have never used the different mount point options. Maybe the Mandriva install is not as good as Mint? Here is the goal...

sda5 / (Mint)
sda6 / (Mandriva - getting error on "/")
sda7 / (OpenSuse/Other)

I guess the question would be why am I not being allowed to have multiple "/" mount points on separate logical drives?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I have not used Mandriva so I can't say

Try openSUSE I can walk you tru that, either from here or in openSUSE forum or IRC
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I actually tried to install OpenSuse (dont laugh at this). I bought an 8g flash drive yesterday to use as live usb for all of the iso's. I did a little reading and downloaded a program called "LinuxLive USB Creator" for my windows machine and used that to create a liveusb. Today I tried to use it for the opensuse and even though there is nothing on the drive (I deleted everything and formatted it) when I tried to just use it for the OS iso it tells me the disk is full! Should I just burn the iso to a DVD?

I have never used IRC. I just pidgin on linux or trillian on windows for my yahoo chat (L_Wolf69). What ever would be easiest for you.

Keith
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Mint has something called Imagewriter
It will make a bootable USB

FYI: Some of these apps that write USB's will brick the USB device
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

The usb will accept smaller or non-iso files. Anyway...Should I just burn the OS iso to a dvd then start the install?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Sure, burn a DVD

But Imagewriter in Mint might burn the USB

I opened a Yahoo chat BTW
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

My screenname is L_Wolf69
lonewolf69

Post by lonewolf69 »

I now have Mint on sda5 and OpenSuse on sda6. I tried to copy some files over to sda8 because that is going to be the file storage drive and it wont let me. I copied a picture and the paste option is disabled. How do I make this drive accessible?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

lonewolf69 wrote:I now have Mint on sda5 and OpenSuse on sda6. I tried to copy some files over to sda8 because that is going to be the file storage drive and it wont let me. I copied a picture and the paste option is disabled. How do I make this drive accessible?
Are you doing this from openSUSE or Mint?
What format is sda8

from Mint: please post result of

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l

cat /etc/fstab
In suse do

su -
fdisk -l

cat /etc/fstab