Sound and Updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sound and Updates

Postby Dirtblack on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:46 am

I've been using Ubuntu for almost a year and installed Mint. I really like it. I haven't been able to get any sound at all. I'm running a toshiba laptop. The sound works fine in Ubuntu but not in mint. How can I get sound working. I've switched from default to the sound that's also listed. I'm out of ideas. I also wonder about updates, since I've installed Daryna I haven't gotten one single update. Any help greatly appreciated.
Dirtblack
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound and Updates

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 pm

To start with updates - mintUpdate automatically gives you updates, but (for reasons we are not to explore here) you have to open it and make a manual check now and then to get all the latest updates.
Toshiba and Linux does not play well...
You did not say anything about what sound hardware you have - it may vary
But if it is Intel HDA I have the probable solution for you
Edit the "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base" file adding at the end
Code: Select all
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=toshiba

note please use gksudo gedit or kdesu kate
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Dirtblack on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try. Actually I've been running Ubuntu for about a year now on that laptop and it runs quite well. it's an A135 model. So anyone out there with An A135 you can run Linux on it. The sound does work on both Hardy and Feisty, the only one it didn't was Mint. go figure I guess

As to the update manager, I have tried to update manually but nothing every comes down the pipes. I just installed Mint this weekend, I'm sure there are updates for it? Any other ideas?
Dirtblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dirtblack on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 am

I've messed with some stuff and still have no sound nor any updates. The updater will work but it won't find anything at all. I can run it from a command line and it does see t he servers fine but nothing comes down the pipes. Is this a bad install?? I do have hardy running on the same computer and that works just fine. I'm at a loss here.
Dirtblack
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions