Have a problem with Conky

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
semenau

Have a problem with Conky

Post by semenau »

I've installed linux mint 13, and for several month my conky works fine, but i dont know what the matter is, but my conky have a black box and not transparant.
i've read from another blog, that said there's a problem with xfdesktop
there's someone can help to fix this, it happens in cinammon and xfce. thankyou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gord

Re: Have a problem with Conky

Post by Gord »

Do you have a customized .conkyrc file? If so, then there may be something in there that got broken by a recent update. FWIW, the following .conkyrc works for me in Mint 13 Xfce with the latest patches:

Code: Select all

alignment top_right
background no
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
double_buffer yes
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12
gap_x 5
gap_y 60
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
out_to_stderr no
extra_newline no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type normal  # was: desktop
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_transparent yes
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 1.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${scroll 16 $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine | }
$hr
${color lightgrey}Uptime:$color $uptime
${color lightgrey}Frequency (in MHz):$color $freq
${color lightgrey}Frequency (in GHz):$color $freq_g
${color lightgrey}RAM Usage:$color $mem/$memmax - $memperc% ${membar 4}
${color lightgrey}Swap Usage:$color $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${swapbar 4}
${color lightgrey}CPU Usage:$color $cpu% ${cpubar 4}
${color lightgrey}Processes:$color $processes  ${color lightgrey}Running:$color $running_processes
$hr
${color lightgrey}File systems:
 / $color${fs_used /}/${fs_size /} ${fs_bar 6 /}
${color lightgrey}Networking:
Up:$color ${upspeed eth0} ${color lightgrey} - Down:$color ${downspeed eth0}
$hr
${color lightgrey}Name              PID   CPU%   MEM%
${color white} ${top name 1} ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1} ${top mem 1}
${color white} ${top name 2} ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2} ${top mem 2}
${color white} ${top name 3} ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3} ${top mem 3}
${color white} ${top name 4} ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4} ${top mem 4}
Try using that, and if it works for you then you could try applying your own tweaks one at a time until you find the one that is causing you problems.
semenau

Post by semenau »

yes i have customized my conky at first to change the theme, and it works fine for a several month, and maybe after i run the update manager and something was updated and then my conky have a black box and not transparent anymore. i have tried that and it still a black box. i dont know what to do
thankyou
Gord

Post by Gord »

The following thread at xfce.org seems like it might be related to your problem:

http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6847
semenau

Post by semenau »

thankyou for your reply

i've already read that blog before i post in this forum, and i think is my problem with xfdesktop, my xfdesktop is 4.8.3, and they say it will be fine with xfdesktop 4.8.1, but i haven't tried yet, i don't know how to down version the xfdesktop to 4.8.1
Gord

Post by Gord »

semenau wrote:i've already read that blog before i post in this forum, and i think is my problem with xfdesktop, my xfdesktop is 4.8.3, and they say it will be fine with xfdesktop 4.8.1, but i haven't tried yet
It sounds to me like you got to the post about 1/3 of the way down (angstrom, 2012-02-28 16:43:11) that noted a difference in behaviour between 4.8.1 and 4.8.3, and then stopped reading. Subsequent posts showed that people got it working with later versions. In particular, did you try the settings in the last post, including "Enable Display Compositing" in the Window Manager?

Return to “Beginner Questions”