lvm2 and device-mapper - RESOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

lvm2 and device-mapper - RESOLVED

Postby extraspecialbitter on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 am

I'm not a Linux Newbie, but I'm brand new to Linux Mint. I am trying to mount some Red Hat-configured logical volumes on my Linux Mint system but have run into a roadblock. I've installed lvm2, libdevmapper1.02 and libdevmapper-dev, but can't seem to get beyond "vgscan". Here's what happens:

Code: Select all
pablo@mintyfresh=> sudo vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "test_group" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
pablo@mintyfresh=> sudo vgchange -a y
  /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
  Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
  Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
  /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
  Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
  Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
  Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.20 (2007-06-15)(compat) and kernel driver
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "test_group" now active
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active

The only two versions of libdevmapper available seemed to be libdevmapper1.02 and libdevmapper1.02.1. Do I need to get a more updated version, or do I need to load some kernel modules to make this work? Thanks in advance...
Last edited by extraspecialbitter on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
extraspecialbitter
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: lvm2 and device-mapper

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 am

extraspecialbitter,

I suspect that you are right about the kernel modules, or lack there of. But don't know that is the case.

I know this isn't very helpful but didn't want you to think you were being ignored. :-)

I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: lvm2 and device-mapper

Postby extraspecialbitter on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:42 am

Fred - thanks for the reply. I've been digging around on the Ubuntu forums, but so far I haven't found anything definitive.
extraspecialbitter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: lvm2 and device-mapper - RESOLVED

Postby extraspecialbitter on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 pm

I should have realized that I needed to created a new initrd file. This post showed me how to do it using update-initramfs (where I had previously used "mkinitrd". The syntax was as follows:

Code: Select all
sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.22-14-generic

After rebooting, I was able to perform the "sudo lvchange -a y" command without errors.
extraspecialbitter
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions