ATI Compiz and KDETV

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI Compiz and KDETV

Postby blindbat on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:37 am

New to Mint-Two questions really. Compiz does nothing regardless of settings-plain desktop no bling but rest of system seems fine even big desktop running on dual monitors. Installed ATI drivers with Envy. This is the second install on Mint 4.0-first one the bling was there.
Second question. Installed KDETV and configured it-show the correct card, channels etc but no sound or picture! Have searched forums and googled with no answers to either question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

System

AMD 3500 64
1 g Ram
ATI 1300 Video
Onboard sound
Dual Acer 1717 Monitors
blindbat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI Compiz and KDETV

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:47 am

Do you use Daryna KDE? (you could install a KDE app in gnome :))
Do you have the right drivers. With the open source drivers you will experience some problems
If you don't have the latest drivers (and there is a significant improvement in the drivers) install the latest Envy from here
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
It's the legacy version for Daryna and older (the repos can't catch up with the changes in Envy)
Let Envy configure X
Also you have to activate Compiz by enabling visual effects in the Appearances
Sorry for now no solution to your TV problem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby blindbat on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:45 am

Yes using Daryna. I will try the link after work today-thanks much and I'll keep this thread posted. TV issue gets a message can't grab video?
Enjoying the balance of the Mint distro.

BB
blindbat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobm on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Not an answer, another question. I've just tried to install KDETV from synaptic. (I'm using gnome). It says it's installed. So how do I run it? I can't find it in any of the menus??
bobm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 am

bobm wrote:Not an answer, another question. I've just tried to install KDETV from synaptic. (I'm using gnome). It says it's installed. So how do I run it? I can't find it in any of the menus??

Can be missing dependencies
It is possible to install KDE apps in Gnome and the other way round but there may be problems with things like missing libraries etc.. You should have been warned during install...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions