Add default path settings at startup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Add default path settings at startup

Post by webtarget »

I am installing some softwre that asks to add a path to my default path. It shows me how to do it using export, but, I want to put it in my default path at startup.

How can I do that? I thought I could put it in a .profile or .bash, but, I don't have one.

I'm using LM13 Mate.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Add default path settings at startup

Post by xenopeek »

You can put it in your .profile. In your file browser press Ctrl+H to show hidden files (.profile, as its name starts with a dot, is a hidden file).

At the end of your .profile file, add a line like (where you replace /some/directory with the full path of the directory the software asked you to add):

Code: Select all

PATH="/some/directory:$PATH"
To activate log out and log in again. This would apply the setting only for your user account, if you want it to apply to all users, add it to /etc/profile instead.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Add default path settings at startup

Post by webtarget »

Thanks, I just noticed it. I know about the hidden files. I don't know why I couldn't see it earlier. I think I was looking at the wrong colors in the command line!

Return to “Beginner Questions”