Hard drve gone?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hard drve gone?

Postby bobsmate on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I installed mint on my 160gb drive, using the whole drive, after success in getting my usb netgear wireless to work, upon booting later my HD icon is missing, leaving only my file system :( :( .
bobsmate
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hard drve gone?

Postby 67GTA on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:59 pm

What icon are you talking about? We need a little more info.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Nomad on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 pm

No worries, your file system is your hard drive :) If you check its size it will be 160Gb.
Nomad
Nomad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby 67GTA on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:05 pm

That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure what he meant. He probably saw the hard drive icon with the live CD, and then didn't see it after installation.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Nomad on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:06 pm

I was confused by that when I first came to Linux as well, took me a while to figure it out lol.
Nomad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Thu May 01, 2008 5:06 pm

In the Linux world the file system is the entire universe. Partitions can be mounted or bound to folders in the file system but Linux doesn't really know or care about them. It doesn't speak "drives" at all. That is a foreign language to Unix/Linux. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby bobsmate on Tue May 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks for the help, i was just confused, or drunk in charge of a new operating system :oops: :oops:
bobsmate
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions