Command problem - mistake corrected!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Command problem - mistake corrected!

Postby T J Tulley on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:57 pm

Original text:
I have a terminal open with prompt in /home - thus: ~/$.
ls -a shows all the contents of my own home file, including Documents.

Revised text:
That referred to a terminal looking at /home in Daryna, while my screen was looking at /home in Celena. That's where I want to operate.
Now my terminal shows the prompt: /media/sda6/theo/Documents$

I have File Browser open showing sda6 which is the partition allocated to /home - it shows /lost+found and /theo (me, the only user).

/theo is open showing, among all the other folders and files, Documents, a folder containing 4 items.
Documents also is open, and shows one folder (62 items) and 3 files - 1 pdf & 2 odt.

The original problem was that I entered cd /Documents, and the prompt duly changed to:
~/Documents$ - and then a command ls -a produced the response, only:
. ..
with no trace of the folder or 3 files.
Now with my terminal correctly addressed the command: ls -a shows the 4 items in Documents, thus:
theo@TJT5Daryna:/media/sda6/theo/Documents$ ls -a
. .. c_xls.pdf GdnITMWJ.odt Local FoldersI4TbkCel man-rsync.odt_0.odt

One of these is the folder named: Local FoldersI4TbkCel. To access this in a command line it is of course necessary to replace the space with ? or * but the command:
less /Local*FoldersI4TbkCel | lpr
produces the response:
/Local*FoldersI4TbkCel: No such file or directory
lpr: Error - stdin is empty, so no job has been sent.

So - essentially, the problem remains. I need to list the contents of that folder. Of course I can see it on the screen if I open it.

I shall be most grateful for advice.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Command problem - mistake corrected!

Postby hal8000 on Sun May 04, 2008 3:06 pm

T J Tulley wrote:Original text:
I have a terminal open with prompt in /home - thus: ~/$.
ls -a shows all the contents of my own home file, including Documents.

Now with my terminal correctly addressed the command: ls -a shows the 4 items in Documents, thus:
theo@TJT5Daryna:/media/sda6/theo/Documents$ ls -a
. .. c_xls.pdf GdnITMWJ.odt Local F Local FoldersI4TbkCeloldersI4TbkCel man-rsync.odt_0.odt

One of these is the folder named: Local FoldersI4TbkCel. To access this in a command line it is of course necessary to replace the space with ? or * but the command:
produces the response:
/Local*FoldersI4TbkCel: No such file or directory

So - essentially, the problem remains. I need to list the contents of that folder. Of course I can see it on the screen if I open it.

I shall be most grateful for advice.

To List the contents of folders in bash type:
ls Documents/Local \FoldersI4TbkCel/*

The \ replaces the space (not a good idea in unix) and * will show you all folder contents.

Fails because youre telling less to look in / directory first
less /home/theo/Documents/Local\FoldersI4TbkCel | lpr

will work has it has the full path, replace theo with whatever username you installed with.
Try googling for basix unix commands, its a bit tricky at first, like anything else new
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Command problem - mistake corrected!

Postby T J Tulley on Sun May 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks hal8000:

No luck! Here's the terminal record - with my comments in red.
I'm in Celena, not Daryna this time, but the contents of the directory concerned are the same (a backup from Thunderbird).

theo@TJT4Celena:~/Documents$ ls -a
. .. c_xls.pdf GdnITMWJ.odt Local FoldersI4TbkCel man-rsync.odt_0.odt [Note that Local FoldersI4TbkCel is one of the files listed]
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Documents$ less /home/theo/Documents/Local\FoldersI4TbkCel | lpr [Command copied from your post!]
/home/theo/Documents/LocalFoldersI4TbkCel: No such file or directory
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Documents$ less /home/theo/Documents/Local*FoldersI4TbkCel | lpr [Tried again with * instead of \]
/home/theo/Documents/Local FoldersI4TbkCel is a directory [I want its contents!]
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Documents$ ls Documents/Local\FoldersI4TbkCel/* [Your command for contents to bash]
ls: Documents/LocalFoldersI4TbkCel/*: No such file or directory
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Documents$ ls Documents/Local \FoldersI4TbkCel/* [Tried again with space before \ ]
ls: Documents/Local: No such file or directory
ls: FoldersI4TbkCel/*: No such file or directory
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Documents$

What am I doing wrongly? I could of course rename that file without the space, but it would be a nuisance - it is the name in .Mozilla-Thunderbird copied into Documents, with my coded date added.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions