Install Daryna or wait for Elyssa???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Install Daryna or wait for Elyssa???

Postby billb60 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Seeing that Elyssa will be out by the end of next month. Will be saving myself a bunch of headaches by waiting for Elyssa or installing Daryna now, then uninstall Daryna and the install what looks like a much better Elyssa and possible break something and not be able to fix it i.e. Grub or MBR?
billb60
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install Daryna or wait for Elyssa???

Postby 67GTA on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:49 pm

If it were me, I would wait. The testing release of Elyssa should be out in the next week or two, so you can help us start ironing out the bugs :D
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Nomad on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Well, I would wait as well but you won't need to uninstall Daryna, just reformat as you install Elyssa. shouldn't cause problems or really be hard but personally just wait, but your choice :)
Nomad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rivenought on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:55 pm

I just had a new build yesterday and installed Mint 4 Daryna GNOME. It was a standard /boot, /swap. /root, and /home setup. When Mint 5 is ready, it will be an easy upgrade on that machine. Nothing will be lost, and there will be several weeks worth of joy to experience.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lakehousetech on Thu May 01, 2008 12:06 am

Hoping some of the Broadcom issues I've had with previous Mint releases are being ironed out. Only one week until test release is out? Beautiful.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby billb60 on Thu May 01, 2008 8:23 am

lakehousetech wrote:Hoping some of the Broadcom issues I've had with previous Mint releases are being ironed out. Only one week until test release is out? Beautiful.

I got so frustrated with trying to get Broadcom to work I replaced the card with an intel card off ebay for $15. After get over that hurdle I could start to test different distro's and settled on Mint it worked the most out of the box.
billb60
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions