Help on mounting partitions automatically

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Help on mounting partitions automatically

Postby Aurelio_Araujo on Fri May 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi, there!

Yesterday, I had to format my C:\ partition so as to reinstall Windows XP.

Berforehand I made a copy of my mbr by following the commands:
1. # dd if=/dev/hdb/ of=backup.mbr bs=512 count=1
So far, so good.

When I finished configuring Windows XP, I decided to recover the MBR records by using the following command:
1. I put Linux Mint Live CD. Accessed my pen drive and copied the backup.mbr file to the desktop.
2. I used the command # dd if=backup.mbr of=/dev/hdb
Then I had my Grub working again.

What happens is that now, when I log into the system, my NTFS partitions don't appear on the Desktop until I mount them.

So, I wonder if anyone could help me making such partitions be mounted as soon as the system starts working.
Aurelio_Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help on mounting partitions automatically

Postby 67GTA on Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Install
Code: Select all
ntfs-config
from the repos. It will be in your menu. It will let you set read/write permissions and mounting. It will automatically add your Windows partition to your /etc/fstab file, so it will be mounted at boot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Help on mounting partitions automatically

Postby Fred on Fri May 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Aurelio_Araujo,

When you reinstalled Windows it changed the UUIDs on your NTFS partitions. Look in the wiki for instructions on how to correct the UUIDs in /etc/fstab.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions