cannot see my linux machine from windows machine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

cannot see my linux machine from windows machine

Postby louismullen on Fri May 02, 2008 5:43 pm

I can see and browse my windows machine via windows network from my linux box.

However when i go to my windows machine i cannot see my linux box.

Basically i have a HP1220 printer on the linux box that I want to share

Help please
louismullen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: cannot see my linux machine from windows machine

Postby 67GTA on Fri May 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Windows does not have native drivers to view Linux partitions. You can use one of these to access Linux partitions from Windows: http://howtoforge.com/access-linux-part ... om-windows

I used this guide a while back to set up printer sharing: http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget ... 51,00.html
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 pm

louismullen,

This may sound a little paranoid to you but considering the state of security on Windows, I don't think I am too far out in left field.

I would not install anything on Windows that gives read/write access to my Linux partitions. Windows does not recognize Linux permissions. I wouldn't want to give even read access to all the Windows nasties out there, but to give write access is, in my opinion, a very bad idea. Just asking for trouble.

If you want a shared data partition, Create a NTFS partition and you will be able to read and write to it from either OS and still be able to control access to the important parts of your Linux system.

My opinion, for what it is worth. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby miket on Sat May 03, 2008 4:20 am

Hi All,

How about installing Samba on the Linux machine ?
Correctly configured it will only allow access only to certain directories on the Linux machine and will require a username
and password to connect. The windows machine will see the Linux machine as a Windows server on the network, which
is what I think the original post was querying.

Samba gives you the ability to control access rights such that the windows machine and "nasties" can't do anything
you don't want them too. By using Samba you can keep all the filesystems native rather than introducing NTFS to your
Linux server.

By using Samba you won't have to install anything on the windows box ...

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby louismullen on Sat May 03, 2008 5:28 am

I really only want to share the printer that is on my Linux machine.

Just for information I am a long time user of Windows. Everything from win 95 to win 2000 to vista. This is my first time to put Linux on a machine. Its the last time I will be putting Windows on any machine. Linux is an eye opener. I knew of its stability but am very surprised by its ease of use and functionality.

I am planning on having our office ( 25 PC network ) upgraded to Linux in the next few months.
louismullen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby miket on Sun May 04, 2008 5:51 am

Hi !

Samba will also share printers and make them available to windows machines as if they were shared from a windows machine.
Samba basically replicates all the "Sharing" facilities of windows but with a lot more security ;)

If you look in /etc/samba/ you will see a file called smb.conf, this is the configuration file for samba, it has examples of all the
types of entries that can be used by samba to share devices to windows machines.

If you go to the Control Centre under the main Daryna menu there is a Shared Folders Icon, if you double click this it will
automagically install samba for you and then allow you to configure your shares from within the GUI directly, probably
easier if you are not a Commandline junkie like me :)

Mike.

louismullen wrote:I really only want to share the printer that is on my Linux machine.

Just for information I am a long time user of Windows. Everything from win 95 to win 2000 to vista. This is my first time to put Linux on a machine. Its the last time I will be putting Windows on any machine. Linux is an eye opener. I knew of its stability but am very surprised by its ease of use and functionality.

I am planning on having our office ( 25 PC network ) upgraded to Linux in the next few months.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sun May 04, 2008 5:57 am

louismullen,

AvanceIT is, of course, absolutely, positively correct. I misunderstood what you were trying to do. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions