Network Shares do not stay on reboot [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Network Shares do not stay on reboot

Post by altair4 »

You know what? I do believe that after all this time I think I finally understand the nature of the your original question.

It's the second sentence of your very first post:
The shares work until I restart the computer and then they are gone.
And the very first image of your last post.

When you open caja to your home folder contents you are expecting to see the "share emblem" on the Music, Videos, and Pictures folder aren't you? And when you don't see them you think they are no longer shared, right?

That is not the case. It's a bug - well I'm pretty sure it's a bug. THe only way to convince yourself that it is still shared is if you use the caja smb://reljoy thing that you now bookmarked or run the following command after you login:

Code: Select all

smbtree
What's ironic about all this is back in the Golden Age of Linux ( i.e., Gnome2 ) there was a similar bug with Nautilus and Usershares where you would create a share from the file manager, it would change emblems, you would reboot, and the emblems would be gone. As it is now, the folder would still be shared it just wouldn't have the emblem that it was shared. That was eventually fixed I think.

The irony is I was the one that submitted the bug report on it back then:
Nautilus Shared Folder Status: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=27667

It fits your symptoms perfectly. The shares off your home folder ( Music, Documents, Videos, etc.. ) itself would be missing emblems. Any subfolders to those main folder would have the share emblems.

That was three and a half years ago :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

This is now solved. Thank you altair4.

For my own benefit I will note the two things that really helped me:
You know, there could be a simpler explanation for all this. Every time you reboot or restart the samba services the network has a bit of a fit as a pecking order has to be established before browsing by host name works. If you try to browse immediately after login there's a good chance it won't work. But if you wait about 5 minutes it will work. This actually gets worse if you introduce a Windows machine in the mix.
caja smb://reljoy-mint.local
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

And when you don't see them you think they are no longer shared, right?

That is not the case. It's a bug - well I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
Exactly!

Return to “Beginner Questions”