Can't boot Windows?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cliffrulez77

Can't boot Windows?

Post by cliffrulez77 »

Was using linux then decided to get on skype with friends, tried to boot to windows only to be directed to a screen announcing windows would not start and listing two options: start windows normally or recovery. Running windows 7. This is a dual boot setup, but linux is running inside windows 7 I believe. I think it might be a virtual box? Maybe. Anyhow, I tried going through recovery (which was useless) and there's nothing i can do to get windows to work. I can't delete it's partition because it's the host and that would kill linux (plus it wont let me lol). So, then i'm left with the option of getting a recovery disc, however I can't figure out my computers specs and model number and serial number etc. So, if anyone has any solutions or help that would be great, but keep in mind im not good with all the linux lingo. If no solutions, then could someone at least help me figure out how to find my model number so i can get a recovery disc? thanks! (:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Can't boot Windows?

Post by wayne128 »

use google,
on search box type
how to find my computer serial number

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... ceweasel-a
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You can't tell us if you used a CD/DVD to install Mint? And if you might have perhaps done a Mint4win?
see this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=21543

Are you in possession of a Mint Cd/DVD?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

All I did was download mint14 64 bit directly from this site and then ran the program and installed it. I never used a CD D:
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

cliffrulez77 wrote:All I did was download mint14 64 bit directly from this site and then ran the program and installed it. I never used a CD D:
I can't really help you with this, I never used mint4win

But I can tell you that any windows 7 media that is the same as you have installed
ie; If you have windows 7 home premium 32 bit, then any DVD of that will let you repair your computer
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

Well in that case is there a specific disc I am supposed to use? All I know is i'm running a windows 7 home premium 64 bit. It was already installed on my compaq presario cq62. My ordeal is actually getting the product number or model number or serial number to order the right one for the exact model I am using to ensure it will work! /:
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

cliffrulez77 wrote:Well in that case is there a specific disc I am supposed to use? All I know is i'm running a windows 7 home premium 64 bit. It was already installed on my compaq presario cq62. My ordeal is actually getting the product number or model number or serial number to order the right one for the exact model I am using to ensure it will work! /:
I can't answer questions about Microsoft support really or that of your Machine Vendor.

Let me just say. Don't rush in to anything or just randomly try anything. Wait until you have concise information.

Get yourself a Mint CD made so you can boot from it... (Do you have access to other computers?)

And... Tell us.
What actually happens when you try and boot windows? Details....
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

That's really all that happens. aside from trying to run it normally, the error code i get from the recovery is 0xe0ef0009. That's about it i'm afraid.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

cliffrulez77 wrote:That's really all that happens. aside from trying to run it normally, the error code i get from the recovery is 0xe0ef0009. That's about it i'm afraid.
OK
I did raise some other questions and shall not keep repeating them, so it's up to you.

I'll help as much as I can, really I will.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

I do have another computer, it's a XP desktop. How would I go about creating a mint disc there?
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

Also, can i run the installation via USB?
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Maybe start with some basics here as I'm confused reading it . . . . . you burnt an ISO image to a cd/dvd and chose to install alongside windows 7 ???

You said you get the option to 'start windows normally' but didn't say if you'd tried doing that ???

Have you tried pressing F8 or whatever key gets you to the advanced boot options ? This should show you your installed OS's . . . .
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

daveinuk wrote:Maybe start with some basics here as I'm confused reading it . . . . . you burnt an ISO image to a cd/dvd and chose to install alongside windows 7 ???

You said you get the option to 'start windows normally' but didn't say if you'd tried doing that ???

Have you tried pressing F8 or whatever key gets you to the advanced boot options ? This should show you your installed OS's . . . .
Ok, I guess i am missing some info here lol. Anyways, yes I attempted booting it normally to no avail. I got the "starting windows" logo and that was it. I tried advanced options like booting in safe mode and it didn't load either. I tried going through system recovery and tried to boot from last good configuration and it still didnt work. I tried to even restore the pc to factory settings and that wouldn't work either. I have to hurry because linux is running on limited free space (1000 MB). My only options are to get a recovery disc for windows 7 or to attempt installing linux mint as the primary OS which should then remove everything else. However, i'm having difficulty doing so because the only operating OS is linux mint 14, and that's ran within windows.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

As i remember from dual booting with ubuntu a good while back, you got an option screen on boot to let you select which OS to boot into . . . . . . before anything else, and as windows was the primary OS with ubuntu installed with wubi inside it, if you did nothing it booted into XP. So are you getting this screen or not? And can you get to the advanced boot options that show you your installed OS's ?

You should see your two options somewhere:

windows 7
linuxmint 14

I'd hazard a guess that something's gone pear shaped with the master boot record but let someone more experienced confirm this, i'm stabbing in the dark here, not keen on dual booting with windows . . . . . . sure something like this happened to me on my XP machine and I fixed the mbr with the OS disc. Don't you have a sticker/badge on the machine or some documentation with the product key ?
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

Well it brings me to the main screen with the option to choose either mint 14 or Windows 7. Windows 7 is unable to start however, as I said before I tried to go through the recovery process but to no avail. Safe mode wouldnt work, restoring to last good configuration wouldnt work, so finally after searching i figured out my exact computer model and ordered the recovery disks from HP. Sorry if I was a nuisance, thanks for all the help though everyone!
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

When you get the recovery disc try the repair options first to repair the master boot record if it gives you that option before you go for any total formats.
cliffrulez77

Post by cliffrulez77 »

I couldn't do anything, I head to set the BIOS to boot disc drive first and ran my recovery disc and set computer back to factory settings. Thanks to everyone for their help though, you guys are a great community! :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”