Maya Live CD - Black Screen White Rectangle

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
El Presidente

Maya Live CD - Black Screen White Rectangle

Post by El Presidente »

This is my first go at Linux ever. I'm trying to install Mint on a second hard drive (Win 7 on the primary HDD) and after messing with the BIOS (had to enable SATA Boot ROM), I can finally get a Mint splash screen from the live CD which then goes to a black screen with a white rectangle in the top left that takes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. At this point, the optical drive ceases to show any signs of life and everything freezes. I've tried with Maya Cinnamon 64 and Mate 64 and the exact same thing happened. Checksum on both is legit. No other computers for testing. I've done a fair bit of searching around and I've heard it could be graphics, the media, the BIOS or just the hardware configuration (i.e. 2 HDDs) but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Specs

ASRock H77 Pro4M
Core i5 2500K
I'm using the built in graphics of the 2500K (Intel HD Graphics 3000) running VGA to a Toshiba HDTV
8 GB AMD Performance Series RAM (2 x 4GB)
2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Green HDD (Win 7 and blank GUID)
Edit: optical drive is from ASUS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Maya Live CD - Black Screen White Rectangle

Post by caf4926 »

During the 10 second count down during boot press a key.
Then press the Tab key to edit the boot parameters, and on the line of text that appeared near the bottom append the word "nomodeset" (without the quotes).
Find the line ending with "quiet splash".
Add your boot option just in front of these key words -
i.e. so the line looks like ..."nomodeset quiet splash". No "'s needed remember.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

Thank you for your response. I tried editing the boot parameters like you said (nomodeset with a space on each side before the quiet splash) and it didn't go to a black screen with a white rectangle but it still didn't work. The screen just pulsed black which I think just means there's no video source and there was no activity on the optical drive. I also tried the other boot options available (compatibility mode, integrity check, RAM check) and nothing happened. No optical drive activity and pulsing black screen.

Any other suggestions?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Did the integrity check not run either?

Can you test the DVD on another Computer?

What version of Mint is it exactly...?

Have you used Mint or other Linux before? Which?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. Maybe you forgot my original post.
Did the integrity check not run either?
No, it didn't
Can you test the DVD on another Computer?
None available for testing (I do have a Macbook but the display is shot so I don't get any video (internal or external) until it has booted to an OS)
What version of Mint is it exactly...?
I've reproduced the issue with the 64 bit versions of both Maya Cinnamon and MATE
Have you used Mint or other Linux before? Which?
No, this is my first attempt at a Linux install.
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

I lied :O) If I shine a bright light on the MacBook (mid 2009 white MacBook) display I can see what's going on enough to get it to successfully boot to the live CD. So, there would be something wrong with the PC... I'm wondering if I should restore my BIOS to default settings? I have to go to work. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the integrity check actually boots to the black screen with the white rectangle, not a pulsing black screen. My bad.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Mint 13 or 14?

Tried both?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

You think I should try Nadia? Okay, downloading 64-bit version of Nadia with MATE
What if it's the same issue?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

El Presidente wrote:You think I should try Nadia? Okay, downloading 64-bit version of Nadia with MATE
What if it's the same issue?
Yes, worth a try.

If it's the same..... I dunno
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

Weird. So the first time I tried to boot Nadia, it looked good. I got past the splash screen to the loading screen and then after.... 20 or 30 seconds it froze on the loading screen. I rebooted and tried again and now it's the same as before: loads the splash screen and then boots to a black screen with a white rectangle. Tried the same steps as I did with the 2 Maya discs and no change.

I might flash my BIOS?
Anyone other suggestions?
Is Newbie Questions the best place for this thread?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You gave us some info earlier on your machine...

Can you tell us, is it a Box or Laptop?

You mention the graphics being Intel... Is that it... It's not Hybrid Intel + nvidia or other?

You are pushing this to a HDTV not a typical monitor? Not that this should be an issue, I booted Mint yesterday on my Sons Box that has a 32" HDTV and nvidia card without a hitch.
But I wonder if you could use a Monitor? Just to see.

Consider trying another mainstream distro, like: Fedora, openSUSE, just see if the behaviour is consistent.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I have similar problem with intel DH61 with Intel HD in LM13 all DE ( Black screen white Rectangle ), but the problem is fixed in LM 14 ( i tried Mate version )
Maybe you can try check this post : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=113043
I know your mobo is same brand with different chipset but at least you can try it
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

caf4926 wrote:You gave us some info earlier on your machine...

Can you tell us, is it a Box or Laptop?

You mention the graphics being Intel... Is that it... It's not Hybrid Intel + nvidia or other?

You are pushing this to a HDTV not a typical monitor? Not that this should be an issue, I booted Mint yesterday on my Sons Box that has a 32" HDTV and nvidia card without a hitch.
But I wonder if you could use a Monitor? Just to see.

Consider trying another mainstream distro, like: Fedora, openSUSE, just see if the behaviour is consistent.
Sorry. I meant to get back to this sooner.
It's a tower. I'm using the core i5 2500K's integrated graphics. I don't have another monitor for testing. Downloading Fedora right now. Will let you know how that works.

I did create a bootable USB stick of Mint 13 Mate using the dd command in Mountain Lion: same issue so that would rule out the optical drive being the issue.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

I also found some boot parameters that people have claimed address similar issues
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ ... orkaround/
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=113043
replace quiet splash with i915.modeset=0 (pulsing black screen)
replace quiet splash with i915.modeset=1 (bunch of errors culminating in an ATA bus error)
i915.915_enabled_rc6=0 quiet splash (black screen with white rectangle)
i915.915_enabled_fbc=0 quiet splash (black screen with white rectangle)
i915.semaphores=1 quiet splash (black screen with white rectangle)
I should say, I'm not sure if I entered the above parameters correctly or if there are any other parameters that might help?

Fedora worked. I didn't install it.... yet. I kind of still have my heart set on Mint. But the Fedora live CD definitely loaded without issue.
The distros that I have not been able to load include Mint 13 Cinnamon 64, Mint 13 Mate 64, Mint 14 Mate 64, Ubuntu 12.10, Mint Debian 201204

Perhaps this is what's going on? Intel Sandy Bridge compatibility issue with Ubuntu derivatives? That wouldn't explain the Debian distro not working though
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... orks&num=1

Any thoughts?

mank_in wrote:I have similar problem with intel DH61 with Intel HD in LM13 all DE ( Black screen white Rectangle ), but the problem is fixed in LM 14 ( i tried Mate version )
Maybe you can try check this post : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=113043
I know your mobo is same brand with different chipset but at least you can try it
Thanks for the suggestion. As reported above, I tried with the semaphores and rc6 parameters and no luck.
El Presidente

Post by El Presidente »

FYI I have recreated the thread here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=123878 in the Installation forum

Return to “Beginner Questions”